Is it possible to automatically toggle input sources for international keyboards?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gswearengin, Sep 8, 2013.

1. gswearengin macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Possible n00b question here...something I thought would be pretty simple but seems to elude me so far. I just bought a German-format Apple wireless keyboard. I assumed, apparently foolishly, that when I used this keyboard I could automatically use the extra German characters, but it didn't work. I have since figured out how to change back and forth between the English and German input sources. This is fast and simple enough, but not ideal.

I have a US-format wired keyboard and a German-format wireless keyboard. Is there any way to configure it so that one automatically uses the US input source and the other automatically uses the German input source, or do I have to switch back-and-forth all the time?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Under the Keyboard prefs you can put a Keyboard switcher in the menu bar. Are you aware of this? Is this help?

If you want to go one step further you could write a small AppleScript to make the change faster via Spotlight. Or check Automator.

3. subsonix macrumors 68040

I do this, and use alt + space for fast switching, works great.

4. gswearengin thread starter macrumors newbie

Hiya,

Thanks for the quick replies. I am aware of the quick-switcher in the menu bar, I was just hoping to find some way to set it up so that one keyboard was always configured for German, the other for the USA format. No dice? :)

Thanks,

GS