Is it possible to boot from an external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crazycat, Nov 26, 2007.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

When i got Leopard before installing it on MacPro i decided to upgrade the hard drive as well. I pulled out the 500GB internal one and replaced it with a 1TB internal Hitachi. The old hard drive now sits in an external enclosure, the problem is i forgot to de-authorize my iTunes account on it and i do not want it to take up once out of the five slots i have.

Is it possible to use a laptop or a desktop to boot using that external hard drive and de-authorize the computer?

2. .mark. macrumors 6502

on my macbook pro, this works - connect the external drive, restart the computer and as it starts hold down the option key. A list of bootable drives should then be shown to you so just click your old drive.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

yes it is possible see above,

Curious as to why you didn't just move that drive to another bay in the Mac Pro.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes i 2nd that, it would seem the way to do it. unless u want to keep it away from the computer to prevent data loss???

wish i had a hitachi 1tb tho... wow those things are good

5. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

Thanks for the response, i would have tested that myself before posting but the hard drive is located far from me. Thanks again.

6. eb6 macrumors regular

You can also "de authorize all computers" through itunes and then just "re authorize" the ones you want. Google it.

7. .mark. macrumors 6502

i thought i read somewhere you can only "de authorize all" when you have 5 computers authorized?