Is it possible to boot OSX through Vmware on an Imac in windows?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dorfdad, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

Crazy I know, but hear me out im wondering if its possible to install windows Vista on an iMac as the MAIN OS.. and from within that OS have a VMWARE partition that has OSX installed.

I know some are askign WHY oh WHY would you even do that, just dual boot and I understand. Im asking IF it would work?

if not VMWARE does anything else allow it? Should work as its NATIVE Apple hardware..

2. quotemeas macrumors regular

No...

VMware Fusion is a "one-way" product. It requires Mac OS X as the external OS in-order to utilize the hardware of a Mac. Also, no Windows based virtualization programs on the market right now can emulate a Mac OS X environment based on the licensing of the Apple OS.

3. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

You sure said it! :rolleyes:

4. The General macrumors 601

Fusion is for OS X. But VMware has been out for Linux and Windows LONG before Fusion was even considered.

The only thing holding this back would be licensing. There are torrents for VMware images of Leopard that you can just boot, but they are pirate software.

So, yes, it is possible. Not so crazy.

5. quotemeas macrumors regular

Sorry, VMware FUSION is Mac OS X only. I assumed that is what he was referring to. My apologies. The Windows and Linux variations are separate products.

6. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Yep, it would work, but not with a stock install of leopard in windows.

7. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

You would have to use an osx86 install disc, and even then i dont think vmware or parallels will let you install osx because its against the eula to virtualize it. You can try QEmu though, i hear it works with it.

I am curious why you would want to do this though.

8. pdjudd macrumors 601

I believe that Leopard server can be virtualized, but obviously not with the normal VMware products - just fusion.

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yes. Leopard Server and Snow Leopard Server (experimental) can be virtualised using VMware's Fusion 2.x, Parallels 4.x and Parallels Server.
    But.. in all instances, it must be installed on a Mac.

10. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

ok I found a vmware session and I got it to boot, but it was GOD Awful slow and no VMware tools were working. I set it up with 2 gigs ram even..

Im finding myself in Vista alot more each day over OSX as well as gaming, but would like to keep my OSX partition for images, music, and photos

11. pdjudd macrumors 601

I figured that was a base requirement. :D