General Is it possible to brick an iDevice?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ninjaw95, Jan 27, 2012.

1. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Worst thing I have done was update an iPhone 3G on iPad BB, but that was easy to fix. I'm wondering if anyone has actually purposely attempted to brick an iPhone and succeeded without any hardware mods.

An idea was maybe interrupting an iPhone when changing it to iPad BB.

2. Tokes Green macrumors regular

Tokes Green

So you want to purposely 'brick' your iPhone - is this for a replacement?

3. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

You can not brick an iPhone. But many mental deficients will tell you they bricked it because they don't know how to get out of Recovery Mode.

4. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, but only provided you have access to unmortered bricks.

5. Tokes Green macrumors regular

Tokes Green

You can - just not without a hw mod :rolleyes:

----------

I LOL'd!

6. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Ive never done it and something makes me think it's not possible

7. ninjaw95 thread starter macrumors 6502

no just curiousity... im actually dead serious. cuz people have asked me what the chances are of bricking an iDevice by attempting to jb it and i always told them almost nothing, now i know its impossible, so far :p

8. Tokes Green macrumors regular

Tokes Green

Lol.

I don't think it's possible - but as Melissa said, a lot of people think they have 'bricked' their device, but the reality is they just don't know what they are doing!

9. ninjaw95 thread starter macrumors 6502

yep. honestly ive had that experience. lol

10. labman, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

labman macrumors 604

labman

no you just have to understand how dfu works. I jb other peoples devices a while back. For bar money I've since decided it's not worth the hassle. All you need is dfu to prevent bricking.

11. b0bab0i macrumors regular

You can brick an iPhone. If you install iPad baseband on any 3GS manufactured after Week 35 of 2011, it will destroy baseband and phone will be bricked.

12. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

GeoHot did when working on the unlock for the original iphone. While using minicom he used an AT command that sent the radio off to never never land.

13. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

Nope. Not knowing how to fix =/= bricked

14. ninjaw95 thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol back to Melissa's comment.

15. b0bab0i macrumors regular

:rolleyes:

I will bet you $25. Install ipad baseband on a 3GS built later than week 35 of 2011. Phone will be bricked. Because it will destroy the baseband chip. Apple changed baseband chips for newer 3GS phones. Sure you can still install iOS, but there will be no wifi, no bluetooth, no service, blank imei, blank baseband.

This is commonly known by everyone, iPhone Dev Teams even put a precaution on redsn0w 0.9.10b before instaling iPad BB that it will brick your phone if you try.

16. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

So in that rare case it will "brick". Most cases of "bricking" aren't related to this. It's related to stupidity and gross misuse of the term.

17. ninjaw95 thread starter macrumors 6502

we should have someone test it out...

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can brick the baseband processor, but not the phone itself. A DFU mode restore will fix anything but an improperly flashed baseband.

19. ninjaw95 thread starter macrumors 6502

so its still not a full brick... so close:(

20. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

If you go to the dev-team blog and go to the post where the procedure for putting the iPad baseband on the iPhone was first announced and read through the thousands of comments there, you'll see that plenty of unfortunate people already screwed up their phones.

21. colocoquillo macrumors member

call me an idiot if you want, but i proove it is possible to have an iphone bricked, mine have some kind of hardware problem and it is bricked, stuck for ever and ever in DFU mode and error 16xx on iTunes, and i bet anyone in this whole forum to fix it.

If some one dare on doing it with me by skype i will send 50£ to his account... not kidding... it is a challenge

22. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

So you revived this thread because your phone is bricked and you want someone to fix it?

23. colocoquillo macrumors member

No, i revive it cause i find it on google and I want the people who thinks that everyone is stupid see that is not always like that, and that in some cases, YES and iphone can be bricked, even if most of the times is not the case.

24. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

spent the £50 on a new phone!

25. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Your iPhone is not bricked, it's broken. You may think it's a fine point, but it is an important one. Nobody ever said that iPhones were indestructible. When we say that an iPhone cannot be bricked we mean that there can be no permanent software damage to an iPhone. In other words, jail breaking or attempting to jailbreak your phone cannot damage it beyond repair.