is it possible to brick an ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ktbubster, Dec 16, 2007.

1. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Ok. I just got an 8gb ipod touch.

I really would like to jailbreak it (I heard that ijailbreak is good... any other suggestions welcome) and I am probably going to do so.... however I'm a little worried.

Pardon me if this is asked. I'm new to the ipod touch and iphone world (usually just immersed in the computer realm). I just want to know if there are any risks in jailbreaking the ipod touch like they are with the iphone. Can it get bricked? Is it easy to restore to factory settings if I do update the firmware.

Will it brick or if i update will it just delete all my third party programs from jailbreaking?

I have a registered ipodtouch with version 1.1.2 i believe cause I just got it.

If it is registered but I end up jailbreaking it and then it updates, will apple have a record of that which would void the warranty? Or would I just be able to update the firmware, let it delete the programs (or if i have to restore it) and go from there or bring it in for any problems?

Thanks and sorry if my questions are ignorant, but after iphones becoming useless and bricked I' a bit worried.

2. ktbubster thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

For some reason my browser is refusing to bring me to the edit page.

Cliffnotes:

Is it possible to undo a jailbreak if you need to bring an ipod touch in for service or will apple know if it is registered and you connect it again?

Is there any case of someone actually bricking their ipodtouch with jailbreaking when a firmware update happens or can you just restore all the time?

I'm a noob in this area. Bear with me :)

3. dagored macrumors 65816

OK

4. dagored macrumors 65816

OK

5. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

It cannot get bricked via anything software wise, you will always be able to go into itunes click restore and boom. Set back to factory settings. The only was you could physically brick your iPod touch is opening it and ripping out wires.

6. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

YES, you can brick an IPT in a sense, if the driver for the ipod gets corrupted by an app, then it wont connect to the computer, and you cant restore, BUT you would still be able to SSH files back on it, so you may be able to rescue it.

or if your an idoit like me, and uninstall ALL your apps, it screwed up my ipod, and in a sense i bricked it, and i was licky for it to restore, but i got it back

7. hecks macrumors regular

There is no "in a sense bricked it" ... it's either bricked, meaning "the only use for it now is as a brick", or it isn't, meaning it still has some functionality and/or can be restored back to full health after some panicking, sweating, maybe a bit of crying, and certainly some asking of dumb questions in this forum (= a compulsory part of the process).

It is simply not possible to 'brick' the iPod Touch. My head, on the other hand, feels like it has been bricked just by writing this post. :p

8. albinoAZN macrumors regular

You can't brick from jailbreaking.
    You can always restore if your computer recognizes the iPod.
    If you have to take it back to apple, just restore it and there will be no sign of Jailbreaking.

9. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

just restore before you bring it in. thats if you ever have to bring it in

10. cloudbyday17 macrumors newbie

last night i had my ipod, then it went blank. i can't restore it, or hard reset it. nothing i do will bring it back alive. any help would be appreciated. btw i did jailbreak it.

11. 1776 macrumors newbie

That's a big IF...I'm pretty sure I just bricked mine. I-Tunes cannot connect and can no longer ssh to it or even ping it. I presume it is stuck trying to boot up. Too bad there's no way to physically console into it via USB.

Here's how it happened: I am a unix sysadmin, so I wanted to be able to use my IPT as an ssh client to do remote server admin. I jailbroke it (1.1.4) using ZiPhone. So far, so good. I was able to ssh IN to the IPT from my Mac and found the default root password was "alpine" by googling around. Well, I can't have some universal, remotely accessible root password, can I? No, so I did the unix sysadmin thing, using the "passwd" command.

After then installing a term app and rebooting, I get stuck in the "Edit Home Screen" loop. I google some more, find that changing the root password did this. I tried their editing of the /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd file, presumably to restore it to original, type reboot and have seen nothing but the silver Apple logo ever since.

Reset doesn't work, I-Tunes can't see it...from all I can tell...a brick.

Edit: WOOT! It wasn't bricked! I love being wrong!

"This has been repeatedly covered:

I doubt you've bricked it.

You need to put it in restore mode.

Keep holding the 2 buttons, until you see the apple logo.

Stop holding the power button, but still keep holding the home button, and you will see an image of the iPod connector and the logo of iTunes.

It should restore now.

Make sure it is plugged in via USB whilst doing this.

Good luck. -Stenosis"

12. mrwooding macrumors newbie

mrwooding

Plug it in overnight, then try this.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

13. antonk macrumors newbie

brick

so i know this is an old thread but when i was jailbreaking my ipod touch 2g, it just turned blank. the battery was full, but now i can't turn it on at all
    also, it doesnt connect to the computer so i cant restore it via itunes
    when i plug it in the computer, it says USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED

14. helpios97 macrumors newbie

You cant brick an iDevice

It is impossible to brick an i device. If it doesnt start up connect it to your computer and turn on your device, when the apple logo comes up you hold the power and home button together and when your device shuts down keep holding the home button but let go of the power button. After a while it should be installing drivers (on mac it has built in drivers) when the drivers finish installing itunes will open in itunes click on your device and press restore, this may take a while and I guarantee it will fix it.This is called a DFU restore
    You can restore your apps after the process