Is it possible to buy a USB hub and hook the Touch to a monitor, keyboard and mouse?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by XX55XX, Jan 1, 2012.

1. XX55XX macrumors regular

I used to have an iPod Touch (2G) years ago, but I have long sold it. I am interested in getting a new one again since the Touch's capabilities have expanded.

With the use of jailbreak software, is it possible to hook a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the Touch and use it has a lightweight computer? I am very interested in something like this. Has anyone done something like this?

2. APlotdevice, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Jailbroken, yes it is possible. iOS already supports bluetooth keyboards, so you just need to hack on display mirroring (some of the jailbreaking tools can be set to do this automatically) and then install a mod called "BTStack Mouse" to enable pointing devices.

Realize that the apps will still behave as though they're being used on a small screen. With the interface taking up a lot of space on your monitor. Also as far as I know mirroring only works with a wired adapter; You can't mirror wireless via AirPlay like the iPhone 4S or iPad 2.

3. XX55XX thread starter macrumors regular

I see that there are third-party USB hubs available. If I buy this and a third-party 30-pin USB hub, could I attach a USB mouse and keyboard to the Touch?

4. APlotdevice, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Oh sorry, I missed the part about USB. It's easiest to use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Those adapters are mainly designed for the iPad, as they replicate Apple's own camera connection kit for the tablet. You'll have to tinker the iPod touch a little further to get it to support USB. And to be perfectly honest I'm not entirely sure a wired mouse can even be used.

A USB adapter should work through the official video adapter. But you can also purchase third party adapters which have both HDMI and USB.

One other thing is that if you do go the USB route, you may need a powered hub in-between. As the 30-pin doesn't supply a lot of power by itself.

5. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

You want to use a mouse on a 3.5 inch screen? :confused:

6. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

no i think we wants to hook it up to a monitor.

7. XX55XX thread starter macrumors regular

No, it's for my monitor.