Is it possible to change fonts in Mac OS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jon08, Mar 29, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

For example, I gots a bunch of Chinese mp3s obviously named in Chinese characters. And sometimes the names look awkward because the system makes certain characters look "bolder" than the other and I find it annoying.

Is it possible to choose which Chinese character font you want to have displayed in Mac OS, like when choosing fonts in Firefox for instance?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS X does not play MP3s. Those are played using player applications like iTunes, the QuickTime Player, VLC, et al. You need to be a bit clearer about the app that you are using. If the application allows you to change the font, then you can change the font. If it does not, then you cannot. Whatever you do, don't change your System fonts.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was talking in general, i.e. the way you see your mp3s in Finder.

4. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

I don't think you can change the font system wide unless you replace the Chinese system font with another Chinese font but I wouldn't recommend it.

5. RoninXI macrumors regular

He is right, you can but it is highly NOT recommended. It could and most likely would cause problems later. I do feel your pain on this though I have some videos and music in Japanese and it is hideous sometimes.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You could use Silk ($10) for that, but nothing with the built-in software (outside of a font replacement, but as noted, that's probably not a good idea).

jW

7. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Here is what I'm talking about (compare the one in the middle with others and you will notice the one in the middle is thinner, while most of the other Chinese characters are displayed in a more "bolder" font):

[​IMG]

Could Silk fix that? Or is there any other ways as well?

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Those just the names of the folders. The Finder does not mix and match fonts for filename display. They are all displayed in the same font.

9. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

So there's no way to change that Chinese font for example?

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Silk could change the font used. As was pointed out, those are all in the same font (for Chinese display, the english stuff is in Lucida Grande usually), so you'd be changing it all, but if you found one you liked for that purpose it could work well.

jW

11. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Nice. Is it 100% safe to use this program though? Or could it possibly mess up my system with these alterations?

12. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

anyone?