Is it possible to change Macbook processor to run Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macf!!94, May 29, 2012.

1. macf!!94 macrumors newbie

I am new to MacRumers and have searched the forums for an answer to my question, but have not had any luck finding a specific thread to help me out. If there is already a thread addressing this - my apologies.

I have two Macbook computers one with an Intel Core Duo - that cannot run Lion. One with Intel Core 2 Duo that can run Lion.

I would like to take the Intel Core 2 processor and put in the other computer (the one currently housing the Intel Core Duo) because it is like new and after June 30th I'm not going to have much use for it as mobile me will be discontinued and I will be forced to switch to iCloud. I don't mind switching but my black Macbook is like new and I do not want to purchase another computer. The computer with the Intel Core 2 is my wife's and the exterior is in bad shape.

I would like to switch the two processors/motherboards. Is this possible and if I do switch them will I run into any problems down the road?

Thank you

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Easy answer: No. You can check out this thread and read up on why its a bit impractical. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=948160

A better idea would be to sell the Macbook on eBay, and using that money to either purchase another machine thats Core 2 already, or get a refurb off of Apple.com