Is it possible to change .MOV file to .MPG file??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flounder021, Mar 12, 2009.

1. flounder021 macrumors member

iPhoto will not import a video on my kodak camera but it will import photos.. the only difference i can really tell between this movie and others i already have imported into iPhoto are that this one is a .MOV file and the others are .MPG files... anyway to change this?? in the camera maybe? I can't open the file in quicktime either, no way to access it i think since it cant import.. thanks in advance

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Download this free application called MPEG Streamclip. Import the .MOV file into it and convert it to .MPG. The app is pretty self explanatory but if you need help just let me know.

David

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hang on, if it won't open in QuickTime, that likely means that there's a codec issue, which repackaging won't help. See if you can play it in VLC.

I can't think why iPhoto wouldn't support the .mov format since it's QuickTime's native format and QuickTime is integrated into OS X, but if QuickTime can't read the codec iPhoto may just reject it out of hand.

4. flounder021 thread starter macrumors member

stupid question.. or i'm just stupid but how am i supposed to import the video file into streamclip if i can't import this video anywhere... The camera is connected to my macbook via a USB cable and i dont know how to get it off the camera if iPhoto wont import it...

oh and another thing.. when i do try to import it into iPhoto, i have to force quit out of i photo because it stops responding.. is the video maybe too long??

better question maybe... from the camera connected to the macbook via a USB cable, how do i open the file in quicktime??

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The camera should appear as a drive on your desktop. You can just go into the folders there, shouldn't be many to pick through for the video clip.

Depends. How long is it?

6. flounder021 thread starter macrumors member

about 20 or 22 minutes.. and it doesn't appear as a drive for some reason, thats why this is so weird

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Did that come from my signature?.....:rolleyes:

David

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

You would have to import the video first. I thought you already had the video imported, sorry.

David

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try recording and importing a shorter clip, a few seconds in length.

10. jackerin macrumors 6502a

What I would like to know is if the OP has tried copying the file to the hard drive, from the camera, using Image Capture.app?

11. flounder021 thread starter macrumors member

OP is trying this now.. seems to be taking a while.. probably because it is so long

12. flounder021 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, yes it did come from your signature ;)

13. flounder021 thread starter macrumors member

just tried this and nothing happened, had to force quit because it stopped responding... any other ideas? if i called apple support could they help??

14. flounder021 thread starter macrumors member

did this and it worked fine, imported the 5 second clip.. so i'm assuming the video i need is too large to import?? Every time i start to import it, the cursor turns into the swirl and the app (iPhoto and image capture) start to not respond.. any ideas folks??

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Did you try what I said about a shorter clip?

16. flounder021 thread starter macrumors member

Yes look 2 comments above this one :) it worked fine so im assuming the clip is too long... can you think of anything i could do??

17. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ah, I see. You must have posted that message while I was composing mine.

You could let it spin for a while. Just because the interface isn't responding doesn't mean the application isn't doing anything.

I'm puzzled as to why the camera isn't appearing on the desktop, though. Anyone else have any ideas?

18. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Had this same problem with a daily time-lapse movie we made of our house construction. It was in avi format so we ran it through mpegstream clip and exported to quicktime mov and it took it.

19. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Get a USB card reader and try it with that.