Is it possible to change the name of a partition and icon?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Iso79, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Iso79 macrumors member

I just installed Windows 7 and was wondering if it is possible to change the name of the partition and icon in OS X? It comes up as BOOTCAMP for me and I would love to change it without having to reformat.

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Click with your right mouse button, show info. Change the name. Look up the picture you want instead of the picture it now has (google a nice picture or take the picture of another folder/partition), copy it with right mouse or "command" "c". Go to the info window of the bootcamp partition. At the top of the window should be the picture you see in finder. Click it and press "command" "v".

I did this to change my TimeMachine picture. I didn't want it to have the TimeMachine picture, but the normal one. So I copied a picture from another external hard drive.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not sure about the icon but name can be changed easily. Right click the BOOTCAMP icon and select "Show info" and under "Name" tag, just write the new name you want to give it

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can rename a partition by selecting it in Finder, pressing return, and typing the new name. However, I've had to rename my Windows partitions from Windows. I can't remember exactly how it's done, but I think you select the partition, right-click, and select Properties. It should be somewhere under there.