Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pyro2b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
California
I basically have one app finished. I would like to use the project for a starting point of a second. Can I change the name of the App? For example, in the Products folder, can I change "test.app" to "newname.app". What about the Targets? Would I be better off just starting a new project, and copying all the code from my first app to my second with the new app name? Thanks for any suggestions.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
You can change the file name of the resulting .app bundle and executable on the Build Product Name line in the project target Info dialog, and the name displayed on the iPhone under its icon in the Info.plist file. Both of these can be different from each other and from the .proj file directory's name. You can even have different names on the debug, release test, and distribution apps, if you wish.

beachdog

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
I also need to change the name of my app, but I am having trouble following the instructions above. In regards this:
You can change the file name of the resulting .app bundle and executable on the Build Product Name line in the project target Info dialog
Which specific dialog are you referring to? I tried looking into the "Project/Edit Project Settings.." dialog but I don't see anything called 'Build Product Name'.

In regards to this:
..and the name displayed on the iPhone under its icon in the Info.plist file

My info.plist setting for bundle display name is set to the default '${PRODUCT_NAME}' and if I change that to a specific name (the new name I want) I get a build error due to a code signing problem.

Help??

dekelver

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
You can change the name of the targets by going to the following:

1. Go to the Project menu.
2. Select the "Edit Active Project"
3. Go to the Build tab on the top of the window that just came up
4. Find the Packaging section of settings
5. Find the "Product Name" setting
6. Change it to what you want.

Close that window, and rebuild.

Hope that helps. :)

Jeff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.