Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
So I'm trying to help a friend out with his dying PC running windows vista. From some basic trouble shooting it appears her hd is failing. But what I'd like to do, is make a clone of her PC hd using my mac (if possible) then do a fresh install of vista back on her drive.
Hopefully that would give me a safety copy of her drive as is... but also fix her problem at the same time because what I think is happening is the drive seems to be spinning down and stopping randomly.

Anyway, moral of the story.. is there mac software that will allow me to make a clone of a pc drive?

thanks!

Yellowstone2012

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Its possible to store any type of file on any OS. So yes, you could possibly transfer all her files to your Mac.

When you do the fresh install of Vista, tell her to get an external hard drive and put everything on that. That is how I have my data setup.

mactree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
great, but how would you go about transferring those files to my mac? Is there a specific application that does that.?

Its possible to store any type of file on any OS. So yes, you could possibly transfer all her files to your Mac.

When you do the fresh install of Vista, tell her to get an external hard drive and put everything on that. That is how I have my data setup.

niksimpsons

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Anyway, moral of the story.. is there mac software that will allow me to make a clone of a pc drive?

thanks!

I am not sure for such cloning software. But I have heard about Stellar Phoenix Mac on PC v4.0. It can recover inaccessible or formatted Mac data from Windows Platform. It would be helpful in case if you are unable to clone that drive.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
So I'm trying to help a friend out with his dying PC running windows vista. From some basic trouble shooting it appears her hd is failing. But what I'd like to do, is make a clone of her PC hd using my mac (if possible) then do a fresh install of vista back on her drive.
Hopefully that would give me a safety copy of her drive as is... but also fix her problem at the same time because what I think is happening is the drive seems to be spinning down and stopping randomly.

thanks!

winclone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.