Is it possible to connect Internet using USB modem

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Sarwanster, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Sarwanster macrumors newbie

If I want to connect Internet while traveling, its impossible to get via Wi-Fi in my part of the country. Several service-providers are providing internet via Usb modem - plug and surf service. We can use this modem over laptop to get internet where ever we are. Similarly, is it possible to connect net in this way?

Is there any connector available to access a usb drive using ipod touch ?

I guess, writing a driver and other software part to access the usb port won't be difficult for programmers.

I never used Mac os before in life. I' m going to buy the first apple product [i-touch].

Instead of pulling out our laptop to connect net, using ipod touch will be handy in several scenarios.

Plz help me out and educate me also.

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

There is not, to my knowledge a USB modem for a Touch or iPhone. Nor is there a device you can plug into it that will act as a drive.

Maybe someone is coming out with something like the above, but it has not been marketed to the public as far as I know.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

With an iPod touch? Nope.

4. Sarwanster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.
    It sounds very simple. could you plz explain me why it won't work ? , I 'm just wanna know this out of curiosity.

5. Sarwanster thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think Apple will come up with this kinda facility. Any 3rd party can develop both hardware and software part. This will be a good feature for guys who are not in the wi-fi enabled spot, if it going to be happen.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hmm... lack of drivers, lack of a physical dongle that goes from phone jack to 30-pin USB... I think those are the major ones.

7. Sarwanster thread starter macrumors newbie

I can understand the difficulty.

Might be you know the answer for the question below which not related to Touch.

Is there any other device which enable wifi spot which gets the input from the usb modem?

8. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

if you have a usb modem, and a laptop, you can turn on wifi sharing on your laptop.

And your laptop would essentially be an access point.

there's no way you're going to hook a usb modem into an iPod touch. nor will it ever happen.
    (not unless it's a hack by some hacking group or something. haha apple wouldn't allow it)

9. Sarwanster thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes possible. But in this case, we may not require a phone to surf.

surely, apple won't do this. some 3rd party can.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah, but...

This doesn't make any sense. If you're going to use a usb modem, you might as well be using a laptop. A benefit of using the touch is that you aren't encumbered by wires and whatnot.

I don't see the iPhone or iPod touch ever being able to connect via a wired connection. Just doesn't make any sense.

11. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

Maybe somebody else needs to be using the laptop?

It's just a matter of needs. I have wifi so personally I'm not worried about it. but I could understand it's uses.

12. savar macrumors 68000

savar

The basic problem is that USB chipsets are divided into 2 classes: master and slave.

The ipod is a slave device, which means it will never be able to command any other device.

Personally, I wish they would make the ipod a master device so that you *could* plug in external devices, but I'm guessing that would be pretty complicated to do, would take up more space, cost more, generate more heat, and shorten battery life.

13. Sarwanster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your explaination.
    I don't know about the heat, battery life. But it may not be that complicated to implement. may be the hardware part is difficult as"Tallest Skil" mentioned before.

14. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

actually the idea is pretty great....a portable 3g to wifi converter with built in sim card for verizon etc....or if they just made the functionality in to all of their phones....would be great for us ipod touch owners that can't get or don't want an att contract,

15. Sarwanster thread starter macrumors newbie

I couldn't understand some part of these quotes " built in sim card for verizon "

3g to wifi ---- > Like,.. the usb modem plugged into the PC and using ethernet to WLAN modem enabling the WiFi access point. Any wireless device can get internet through this way.

But, there's no device available right now that take 3g to wifi directly. In between it requires a software that understand the 3g protocol. might be in future we will get a device with some embedded software inbetween.

there is one alternative. if you have mobile with both 3g and wifi features. enable wifi in the mobile make it as a access point and browse using the itouch.

if we have a mob with 3g then why we want to surf with itouch. this might be your next question.
    Some user may want to surf only with safari.

EDIT : I think "operator207" found what u want. I answered in the perspective of usb modem instead of 3g. I' m not aware of those devices before.

16. operator207 macrumors 6502

I never said Apple would come out with something like that. I am sure they won't. But I am not all seeing, so I could easily miss something I would not need, and therefore not look for. Which is why I said, "Maybe someone is coming out with something like the above, but it has not been marketed to the public as far as I know."

17. operator207 macrumors 6502

You mean like this: http://www.stompboxnetworks.com/
    http://www.dlinkshop.com/product.asp?sku=3135228
    http://sewelldirect.com/3g-phoebus-cellular-wi-fi-router.asp
    http://www.cradlepoint.com/ctr500/ctr500.php

They have been around awhile, Limos are a common client to these devices.