Is it possible to connect MacBook to multiple monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacOSXuser, Oct 21, 2012.

1. MacOSXuser macrumors regular

Folks,

I have a white unibody macbook (Late 2009, A1342), with a thunderbolt (mini displayport) video output. But the screen on the MacBook is no longer functioning so I want to use it as a desktop, but having only 1 screen is not enough for me, can I actually utilize the display port(anything like a dual vga output?) or other alternatives to connect 2 monitors at once (extend, not mirrored)

thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is not a Thunderbolt port, it is a plain old mini-DisplayPort. There is a difference. You'll have to use a USB display adapter for another external display.

3. Felasco Guest

Thank you for the question and reply above. I'm hoping we might expand on this discussion a bit.

I've been using Macs for 17 years, but just got my first notebook (details in sig).

I just bought an adapter from Apple so I can connect my Macbook to the 19" Dell display I'm used to using.

Are you saying I could also connect a 2nd monitor that would expand, not mirror, my desktop? Via USB?

Or, if that's impossible, can I use both the laptop screen and my external monitor to expand the desktop (not mirror)?

Thanks!

4. mriv3 macrumors newbie

It can be done.

I have a late 2010 Macbook Pro 15 in and I have a dual screen set up.

For my main monitor I use a mini display port to hdmi. (You get the mini display ports to go to dvi or vga ports as well.)

For my second monitor I use a kensington universal usb multi display adapter. The solution works decently. This monitor tends to lag a tad bit when watching videos full screen. Nothing that is extremely crazy...but I know this will drive some people crazy. Usually on this monitor I keep open my email, twitter, iTunes, etc...and I keep browsing and video watching to the monitor that is connected via mini display port.

Overall I am very happy with this set up.

I have attached the link to get the usb display port. (FYI, I purchased mines on Amazon brand new for $50)

http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/p/1422/K33928US/universal-multi-display-adapter.aspx

Hope this helps.

5. Felasco Guest

Thanks very much for that information, I'll investigate. Appreciate it!