Is it possible to convert a Parallels image to Boot Camp?

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I currently have WinXP installed via Parallels. I want to run Boot Camp now so I can play Doom 3. Is it possible to convert my Parallels image to Boot Camp? Would creating an image with Acronis thru WinXP (Parallels) then imaging a partition with it work? When installing Boot Camp, does it give you the option to install from a WinXP image, or do you have to install WinXP from the installd disc?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Do a clean install..

It's about the only option with the current lack of tools, unless I'm completely mistaken.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Do a clean install..

It's about the only option with the current lack of tools, unless I'm completely mistaken.
yea, but if I do a clean install, it may not validate correctly. I read somewhere awhile back that if you reinstall WinXP 'x' number of times, you have to call MS.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
yea, but if I do a clean install, it may not validate correctly. I read somewhere awhile back that if you reinstall WinXP 'x' number of times, you have to call MS.
True, however what's the issue with calling them? It's quick and easy, you just say you needed to reinstall, and they activate the thing.

Or do you have an illegal copy? :p

As I said, you can try other methods, but I doubt anything else will work. Plus a major "hardware" change could cause activation issues anyway - such as moving a VM based install to boot camp...