Is it possible to create a dynamic background?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ramius, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Ramius macrumors 6502

If anyone has a Playstation 3, you'll know what I'm talking about. I think they're mostly made in Java Applet. Slow moving backgrounds that can change color by the time of day or year. I would love to use something like that for my MacBook.

Like a real slowmotion waterfall in black and white. Or a realtime sunset and sunrise.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could set your screensaver to some pictures and use that (www.wallsaverapp.com) for showing it as background image.

3. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah... but that would kinda be a cheap/cheat-version of what I'm aiming at.

I'm really aiming at having a animation as background, that runs on code. Not a screensaver which basically flips through images.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, since you can use any screensaver, you've got a lot of options, not just "flipping through pictures". In addition, the guys over at SereneScreen have some good desktop backgrounds similar to what you're looking for.

jW

5. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I forgot to say that. It is a good application that was linked to. But many of the screensavers are too flashy and fast to work any good as a background.

I think a dynamic background should move alot slower, that you only see the progress slowly through half an hour or so. If any of you have had a chance to see the background on PS3, it's a good example.

I just wish I knew how to make them myself. I know Photoshop and how to make a gif, but that would be a pain to create animations consisting of hundred images.

So I'm going for a background thats designed to be a background, not a screensaver. Cause there's a difference.

6. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

It's the same thing, is it not? You're just going to want a slower, less flashy screensaver. You'll just have to find or create a screensaver that changes as slowly as would match your tastes.

7. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    This sounds like a cool idea. I have various things I'd like to come as background screensavers (logos for my projects, maybe a picture of my car, etc). I think the OPs going for something different w/ the PS3 background animation (which would be cool too). I'll keep some of these options in mind and play around with them.

8. Hartel macrumors newbie