Is it possible to create a "free" iTunes account?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by atlanticza, Dec 1, 2008.

1. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Why I ask this is that I received a "private message" from a "med student in India" who wanted to get a free app for his iPhone but could not create an account because he had no credit card. He wanted me to create a free account through mine (using "whatever email address" I liked). I did point him to a variety of options - including the "coupon" option but he said that didn't work. Naturally I was a little wary and ended up by saying that I couldn't help him. But it did occur to me, without a credit card it doesn't seem possible. What do the kids do then? Lean on generous parents?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I thought you could setup an account without card details, as that's the whole point of the itunes gift cards isn't it?

Also that "Private Message" you received was a massive scam, and it was just to get your card details, good job for not falling for it.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Yes you can set up an iTunes account without a credit card.

1. Start by going to the iTunes store, and go to the App Store. (No, it doesn't matter whether you have an iPhone or iPod Touch or not)
    2. Select a free app to download. You will be asked to login or create a new account.
    3. If you set up a new account this way you will not be asked for credit card info.

That's it. You now have a "free" iTunes account. Naturally if you want to purchase anything you will have to provide some sort of payment info.

This method is documented by Apple.