Is it possible to create an encyrpted, bootable backup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by techmonkey, Mar 19, 2008.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Ive been using SuperDuper! to make an bootable backup of my drive. Is it possible to create an encrypted bootable backup of my drive? Since I backup to an external drive, I would like it to be encrypted in case its lost or stolen. If not with SuperDuper!, any other software?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well by definition, the OS on a boot drive cannot be encrypted, because you need to run the software to de-encrypt it before it can be read. Chicken and egg problem. (unless you have a pure hardware based encryption facility built into the drive)

However, you should be able to make a bootable backup where the OS and applications are in the clear, but your data is encrypted.

3. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

TrueCrypt for windows actually allows you to encrypt the boot drive. Before booting into windows, you are prompted for a user/pass. They may work on this for the Mac version in the future.

Regarding your second comment, do you mean by using FileVault my data can be encrypted?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Presumably this is done during the autoexec before Windows boots, it would boot into DOS or a small executable environment. Don't really know the program. But Windows is substantially different from Mac.
    By using FileVault or a third party folder encryption program, sure.

The point is to identify what needs protection and what doesn't, given that all encryption has some overhead and risk.