Is it possible to create an image

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by oo7ml, Feb 8, 2010.

1. oo7ml macrumors 6502

Hi, is it possible to create a backup image of your iphone. I know you can backup using iTunes but it doesn't exactly back up everything on your phone. Is there a way to backup your phone with some software such as Northon Ghost etc, thanks in advance...

2. RobMoss macrumors regular

What do you want to back up that the iTunes backup doesn't back up..?

3. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

The only things iTunes doesn't back up are the list of jailbroken apps you have installed (if you're jailbroken) and the layout of your apps on the home screen (REALLY annoying to have to re-arrange eight pages of apps after a restore, even if using iTunes). I can't think of anything else the OP might be referring to.

OP, if you jailbreak, there are apps that will do both of these things.

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

iTunes does back up the homescreen layouts. I do it all the time.

5. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Wow, how? Every time I've restored from a backup, it's remembered which apps I had installed, but not where they were. Are you doing anything special to get it to do this?

And if this does work for everyone, then that only furthers the question of which data the OP doesn't feel is being adequately backed up...

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The only things that are not included in a backup are music, movies, podcasts, and pictures from your computer. Everything else is backed up including home screen layouts (like TheSpaz said).

The OP wants to have a disk image of the iPhone much like using Carbon Copy Cloner or some similar program. There's not one, AFAIK.

7. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies... does iTunes backup the settings that you have set inside each app... for instance, i have an app that i use for to do notes... will all my notes and reminders be saved in the iTunes backup when i backup... i don't want to risk it to find out, thanks again for all the help

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The trick to get your app layout back is to restore from a backup, wait for iTunes to copy all of your apps to your device and then restore a SECOND time from the same backup and your apps will go in their places. The problem iTunes has is that it copies your apps to your iPhone in alphabetical order first, you have to restore AFTER your apps are loaded to get them back in the original spot. I've done this a lot. I know it works.

9. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Wow, what a pain. Still, way less of a pain than having to re-order everything! Thanks for the tip; I'll keep this thread bookmarked for the next time I have to restore!