Is it possible to damage app during installation?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mirtelso, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Mirtelso macrumors newbie

This is likely dumb question, but I need to be sure.

Situation where you download the installer/downloaded file, extract app file from it, eject disk image form desktop, then put downloaded file into trash and it suddenly don't want to be deleted. I suspect system was still using it in some ways... though disk image had been ejected.

App itself seems to work, opens and does what it was meant to do. Just slight worry if there might be internal error causing security issues. Is this possible?

Or if App actually works, then it works 100%?

I've had it happen few times with different apps and was never sure if I should go and remove them and re-install, eve if they seemingly work.
    Will Thunderbird get less secure? Will Malwarebytes not detect everything?

Thoughts like that. Just don't know how apps works - are they like one big bundle that either works or won't work at all and as long as they seem to work, they are 100% fine?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

You can't eject while it's in use. Don't worry.

Yeah apps are like a bundle. If it works, it's installed. No chance of anything being missing.

3. Mirtelso thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help once again!

To sum it up:
    if installer app was still open and I put it into trash and tried to delete it, it did not cause any issue to app itself? I'd like to know how sensitive Apps are - would such deleting attempt cause some damage to them? So that they visibly work, but lack some function or weaken them (Malwarebytes not finding malicious file, Thunderbird's connection insecure etc)?

Or in such cases, just ignore it as long as App opens and seems to work? No need to uninstall and install again?
    Sorry for being so a**l about it - I'm kind of old school man and tiny mistake with tiny detail has always meant for me big mess incoming. Electronics and software are beyond the comprehension of this old relic. [​IMG]

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

That's right, no need to worry. You won't be able to eject an image while it's in use, so even if you try to eject during an install, it won't have it.

Installers run through a progress list, so even if you force quitted the installer mid way or the computer spontaneously shut down, the app wouldn't work. A lot of apps on macOS just involve dragging to the Applications folder anyway.

If it works, it works! :)

5. Mirtelso thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!
    In Malwarebytes case, I extracted the App, later put it into Application folder. Not sure if I put it to App folder right away or first tried to delete the downloaded file where I extracted App from, sent it to trash and there it suddenly did not want to delete. I got this panic that what if something was still connected between the downloaded file and extracted app even after I had ejected the disk image that appeared during extracting.
    But that situation could not have caused any damage do extracted app, yes?

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

No damage to the app at all, likely just hadn't been copied to the Applications folder or was ran directly from the image. Honestly there's really no cause for concern — Macs don't have anywhere near the awkward troubleshooting and maintenance that Windows systems need! :)

7. Mirtelso thread starter macrumors newbie

Thread solved! :D

8. Jinshinpan macrumors newbie

Jinshinpan

Hello, I've been on search about apps and potential corruption.
    Sorry for butting in to this thread! :D

The bold part are situations that will NOT damage app in any way then? This kind of interruption when in the middle of process is therefore not cause for app damage?

"ran directly from image" means App was still read from Disk Image? OP seems say that he ejected Disk Image - in this case, while Disk Image is visibly ejected, Mac might still feel it is not?

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah that's right. We're going on the assumption that the app in question is one that you drag directly to the Applications folder, such as Skype. Basically if you download a DMG file and mount the file, but instead of dragging the app to the Applications folder, you double-click and run it from within the mounted image. The app will still work but it just means you can't eject the disk image while it's running.

Your Mac won't let you eject a disk image while it's in use. It won't even let you delete a file from the Trash while it's in use. So honestly there's really no need to be concerned with this sort of stuff as there's no chance of doing any damage – the computer will keep you right! :)

10. Jinshinpan macrumors newbie

Jinshinpan

Hm, I think I get it. :)
    One more question if I may! :D
    In situation where you download dmg, mount it, then drag app file to Applications folder, eject the disk image/unmount it and then move dmg to trash and try to delete it from there, but it won't let you - in this case system is still somehow using it? And again nothing to worry about?

11. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah the system might still be using it. Normally you'd get that error if the image is still mounted, or if the DMG is still in use with another application (for instance if it's seeding through a torrent client).

If you still have the issue and can't figure out what's using it, you can restart the computer and it'll delete after that. :)

12. Jinshinpan macrumors newbie

Jinshinpan

So while it is not certain what could cause it under such conditions (image no mounted, torrent client not active or even installed) it is nothing abnormal to worry about, yes?

And these kind "won't delete" signs and "strong arming" (trying to delete, restarting) have no bad effects on apps that refuse to delete?

With Mac it is... "Trust in Mac! it will make sure things won't break?" yes? :D

13. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Pretty much! :D