Is it possible to delete only select files from Trash?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Libertine Lush, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,

This is something I'm use to in Windows, so I'm curious if it's possible in Snow Leopard too.

If you have 10 files in the Trash, but you decide that at the moment you only wish to delete 5 of them, is it possible to only delete those 5? Or would you have to take out the 5 you don't want to delete yet, place them somewhere temporary like the desktop, delete the remaining 5 and then put the 5 on the desktop back into the Trash?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's how you do it.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

I don't think it works that way, but that would be a nice option.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can't, and I really don't see the point. If you're trying to store files in there, you're doing it wrong.

5. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

7. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot, sammich. Looks like a good option. Maybe I'll try it.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I have a great idea....I'll hide important files I really want to keep safe in the Trash...no one would ever think to look for them there! :rolleyes:

Commit, dammit! If you don't want it, put it in the trash. If you think you don't want it, but you just can't make up your mind to dump it, DON'T put it in the trash.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

A number of replies in here are kind of close minded. Apple's way via the mouse is to allow you only the option of deleting the whole trash. You can say everything is always right, since Apple said it is so, but Windows made this easier, IMO. Sometimes, you're just not sure if you want to delete EVERYTHING. Jeez.

Anyway, OP, this doesn't work so well for a lot of files, but Terminal is what you want to use. Type in this:

rm -r [path to file]

You can just type "rm -r" and then drag the file from trash to terminal and press return and it will be deleted. Do this for the other 4 files and you're done. If the deletion says you don't have permission or rights (I forget the exact message), just type:

sudo rm -r [path to file]

again dragging the file to [path to file].

10. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, that's very helpful. Not as convenient, but really useful nonetheless, not having to install an additional program. Thank you!