iPhone Is it possible to delete stock apps on a jailbroken iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mrsir2009, May 30, 2012.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Is it possible to delete stock apps on a jailbroken iPhone? Because there are numerous stock apps I never have and never will use, and being on a 16gb iPhone space isn't too plentiful...

Thanks in advance :)

2. SleekB macrumors member

SleekB

like what kind of apps? stock, weather, clock, calculator, itunes? they dont really take much i believe
    haven't heard of deleting them but you can hide them (if you are jailbroken)

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Some of them you need even though you might not use them trying deleting them might cause lots of other issues.
    And you're not going to save any space by removing them so sticking them inside a folder away somewhere is a beter idea.

4. iRetired macrumors 6502a

iRetired

It isn't so much deleting an app as it is hiding an app, example, for more screen real estate. One example: Newsstand. There's a workaround to rid the app if you're not jailbroken - but it's rather complicated and you have to be coordinated (which I'm not...). If you are jailbroken, then you can get a free tweak in the Cydia store called NoNewsIsGoodNews - which effectively hides the app (not deleting it).

5. justinwebb macrumors regular

i use sbsettings just to hide them, makes it seem like they are deleted. I doubt they take up any real space on the phone

6. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

7. justinwebb macrumors regular

you have to have sbsettings installed, click on sbsettings icon and there is an option to hide icons

8. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Hide em via sbsettings or just stash em in a single folder (get infinifolders if needed).

Also putting newsstand in a folder isn't that hard coordination wise:p

9. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

You can use Springtomize 2 to hide them as well.

10. SleekB macrumors member

SleekB

newsstand doesnt allow to put in a folder. SO hiding with the mentioned tweak is the best idea if you dont want it on the home screen.

unless you are jailbroken, you can't hide them besides throwing them in a folder and put it on an unused page on the homescreen..

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There was a bug in iOS 5.0 that allowed it to be put inside a folder. This bug is no longer in iOS 5.1 and I think it was not in iOS 5.0.1 either.

12. SleekB macrumors member

SleekB

oh maybe.. im on 5.0.1 since i got my 4s, so i wouldn't know :rolleyes:

13. intoxicated662 macrumors regular

Wrong! Newsstand can be hidden actually, there is a tweak on cydia called no newsstand that will hide it for you :)

14. SleekB macrumors member

SleekB

as i said,

15. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

In the end I hid newsstand with that nonewsisgoodnews tweak, and hid the rest with sbsettings. Thanks guys :)

16. Renie517 macrumors newbie

17. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Poof also works for those who don't want to download SBSettings for whatever reason.

18. Dr. Jay macrumors newbie

Shouldn't you be able to access the filesystem (via iFile) and delete the application's folder?

var/mobile/user/%application%

Or something similiar? I know /user applications are in a different folder then stock applications but I also know that this folder is accessible. You therefore (in theory, with correct permissions) should be able to delete the app's source files and changes would be visible on the next respring.

Bit of a warning, however -- Siri might crash if you say, delete weather and then tell Siri to fetch data for you. Unforeseen consequences.

19. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Seriously, so much terrible stuff happens when/if you delete any of the stock apps.
    I simply wouldn't do it.

Google those who have done so and see what eventually happens. It isn't pretty.