Is it possible to disable finder?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Avicenna, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Avicenna macrumors member

Is it possible, using Cocoa frameworks to disable Finder? By disable, I mean I don't want people to browse my files.
    Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wouldn't it be easier just to password protect your account and provide a guest account for anyone else who needs access to the machine?

B

3. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I'm still not sure what you mean by "disable" and by "preventing people from looking at your files"

You can always try to do this, but I have no idea what the effects would be, so do at your own risk:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder

but there is no way to use the "cocoa frameworks" to disable finder as it were......

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The Finder is just a visual application to view your files. There are multiple ways to get to your files without the Finder.

As the first reply said, use a password, or don't let anyone use your account. Move your personal files into your home folder.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Even if you could disable it, you would have to disable every single open and save dialog in every program. You are trying to kill a gnat with a sledgehammer. The simplest solution is to create an encrypted DMG and put all your critical files in that — as long as you remember to unmount it when you are away from the computer..

6. ehoui macrumors regular

Why in the world would you post that... 2 minutes penalty box.

OP: you need to clarify because there are lots of options to lock down your files, none of which involves deleting or fully disabling the Finder. For example, if you have children, you can put them on a controlled account and give them a "simple finder". If you are concerned about the network, then something else must be done that has nothing to do with the Finder.