is it possible to disable safari's auto reload?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tbluhp, Aug 29, 2011.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

in safari 5.1 (lion os) about half of the time when multiple tabs are open and I go back to a different tab safari will reload the site causing all unsaved work loss is there a way to disable this?

2. Dream Loader macrumors newbie

It won't reload unless there's something on the website causing it reloading?
    Maybe when you're doing work, there's something like a java script causing it to reload?

3. riker1384 macrumors regular

This is happening to me too. I think it might be closing pages that I'm not looking at in order to save memory, then loading them again when I view them.

Sometimes though, it reloads everything at once for no apparent reason.

I find this auto-reloading very obnoxious, it causes several different problems. Lost typing, losing the previous version of a page that has changed, and so forth. I would really like to find a way to disable it.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Carry-over from the iOS version? This happens on the iPad Safari all the time. Most annoying. :mad:

5. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Happens to me daily. I had a huge thread I was writing here, then when I was literally about to post, I flipped over to another tab for a second, then came back, and it reloaded my page losing all my work.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sounds like a good reason to avoid Safari.

If safari does this re-download in IOS, wouldn't that cause an unnecessary increase in your data usage? With data getting more expensive all the time, I would think that is a bad idea.

7. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Why does Chrome work so much better and faster on my Mac?