Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
I’m used to using programs on the laptop (MBP 14”). I never thought about it much before but is it possible to use the iPad Pro for these types of applications? I usually use R studio, python, Jupyter, excel, etc. thank you, in advance!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You technically can do all the same work on iPad by remote-control another computer with those programs installed to do the job. If you want native application on iOS, you might be able to find one that supports R. There is no R studio equivalent on iOS afaik. Jupyter is in the same situation: iOS app that supports that language but might not have desktop equivalent. As for excel, unless your workbook is relatively simple, you would need a computer to create and edit such Excel files. iOS version is quite basic imo.

Reactions: delsoul

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Yes it is possible. Just look at differences between the desktop and Ipad apps so you can then see if it will meet your needs.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Due to design differences you can’t compile various libraries or frameworks for R or Python locally - like you can on macOS - when these packages are not available. Apple additionally limits loading of binary code from within an already installed app.

Decent local Python environments on iPadOS are Carnets (free) or Juno - the basic stuff is covered.

AFAIK there is no uptodate R app with a functional GUI on iOS/iPadOS. I have compiled R in iSH, including some libraries like dplyr, as webasm, but that is somewhat tedious and gives you just a terminal based, quite limited “plain” version of R.
You can - as others already pointed out - access/remotely use R e.g. via posit.cloud (various tiers incl. a free one).

Google Colab offers access to/remote usage of R and Python.

IMHO a Macbook represents the more appropriate and much better choice for data science.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.