Is it possible to do multiple install with the family pack w/o disc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rjce2k, Sep 2, 2009.

1. rjce2k macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a family pack snow leopard which allows me to install it in five different computers. I shared the cost with four other friends and we've installed it in our computers already. One of them is leaving the country for a while and is worried that he may not be able to reinstall the OSX (in case something happens with his computer) while he is out of town. Would it be possible to do it without the disc. I was suggesting that he take the disc but the other three said it would be better that we have it because there are more of us together. any suggestion?

Thanks

2. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

I'd recommend just copying the DVD using Disk Utility. Everyone has their own licences, so I don't think there would be any potential issues with backup copies of the media.

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

From memory, I think the actual terms of the family pack license are more restrictive than what you've done in this situation (ie. the family pack covers five mac's in a household, and may include children off at college/uni. It isn't supposed to cover 5 mac using randoms getting together to save money.)

Given that you've already (technically) broken the licensing agreement, just make a copy as previously suggested.

You certainly won't be the only person doing this, and I'm not having a go at you, just pointing out the potential licensing restriction thats already been broken.

EDIT - and the group of you should keep the disk, if something goes wrong your friend can shell out the $29. Tell him to stop being cheap (but it's unlikely he'll need the disk if it's a short trip!)