Is it possible to do this? Re: Gmail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by angieutc, Jul 17, 2009.

1. angieutc macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a question. When using the gmail web client, do you have the option to select all and delete all messages. Also, since it would be a IMAP account, could I logically delete all from web client and the delete messages are reflected in the mail app?

Also, I know Gmail is not push, however it I set to fetch and manual, could I technically open up the email client and get new messages instantly?

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Let me see if I can get this right ...

Gmail on the web allows you to select all and delete.

Gmail in the Mail app (on your iPhone) does not let you select all to delete.

I don't really get your last question. If you open the gmail web based client on your iPhone it would essentially show new mail almost instantly providing you leave the screen unlocked and safari open.

3. angieutc thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm asking does Gmail on the web allow you to select all and delete? I know you can't mass delete on the mail app.

My second question was in regards to the mail app settings. Set to fetch and manual but will you be able to get new messages when you tap the mail button?

Thanks!

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, when you open th Mail app, it checks.

I know some folks have it set to NEVER check, and they just open it whenever they want to look, and it checks then.

I have mine set to check every 30 minutes, but if I know something just got sent, I can open up mail and it will appear within 15 seconds.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I answered whether gmail can mass delete already.

When you tap the mail button you will prompt mail to search for all new mail, therefore, if you tap it every minute it will fetch every minute.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yes

You can select multiple messages, but there's no button to select them all in one click.

Yes

7. SeanMcC macrumors regular

I don't believe you can select all using the Gmail mobile website.

When you delete them on the website, they will shortly disappear from the Mail app as long as you've connected via IMAP.

Yes, you will still be able to get new messages in the Mail app with fetch set to manual. It just wont check for messages while in your pocket.

8. angieutc thread starter macrumors newbie

No, really you didn't answer my questions, you just repeated what I said. I do appreciate your response however ;);)

9. angieutc thread starter macrumors newbie

Bummer about the select all:( It just makes things so much easier