Is it possible to do this with Itunes? Use only an ext HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NQK, Dec 7, 2009.

1. NQK macrumors member

NQK

I have about 50 GB of music, movies and stuff in my itunes library. I have all of it backed up to an external hard drive. Is it possible to delete all the files from my mac book and just use the external HD every time I go into itunes?

2. Alan64 macrumors member

Yes, as long as your iTunes library file is also on that external drive.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, but unless you have a fast connection, there will be a bit of a performance hit.

I'm doing this on a NAS over 802.11g, and it works fine but starts up slowly. It also works slowly accessing the iTunes store.

One nice thing about this is being able to access the same iTunes library from multiple computers - just point them to the same iTunes database file on the external drive.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Works great with firewire external disks.

USB not as good.

External drive doesn't have to connect over network. But yeah those points are valid for those circumstances.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That was my point - USB beats wi-fi, but wi-fi beats USB for multiple computers.

6. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

I did this for years before I bought a newer computer with a larger internal hard drive.
    Just make sure the actual library files are also on the drive you are using.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

iLounge has an excellent article on this: Transferring your iTunes Library

Not necessary. It's possible to have all the media on the external drive but the library on your internal drive.

8. Alan64 macrumors member

The OP mentioned that he wanted to delete all the (music) files from his Macbook. If he deleted his library file as well, then he'd have problems. That's why I suggested he move the library file over to the same external drive. I suppose I should have gone into more detail and shouldn't have implied that he HAD to have the library file on the same drive.

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

This is the way I do it. I have the library file on my MBP and everything else on two 2TB external drives.

10. NQK thread starter macrumors member

NQK

This may be a dumb question, so please forgive me, but how do I do that? I already have a complete copy of everything that 's on my laptop on the external HD.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There's a file called itunes library.itlb or something similar in your iTunes folder. That file needs to be on the external drive with the actual music files.

iTunes will re-create this file for you if you let it, but you'll lose your ratings, play counts, etc.