Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NQK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Alabama, U.S.
I have about 50 GB of music, movies and stuff in my itunes library. I have all of it backed up to an external hard drive. Is it possible to delete all the files from my mac book and just use the external HD every time I go into itunes?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I have about 50 GB of music, movies and stuff in my itunes library. I have all of it backed up to an external hard drive. Is it possible to delete all the files from my mac book and just use the external HD every time I go into itunes?

Yes, but unless you have a fast connection, there will be a bit of a performance hit.

I'm doing this on a NAS over 802.11g, and it works fine but starts up slowly. It also works slowly accessing the iTunes store.

One nice thing about this is being able to access the same iTunes library from multiple computers - just point them to the same iTunes database file on the external drive.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Works great with firewire external disks.

USB not as good.

Yes, but unless you have a fast connection, there will be a bit of a performance hit.

I'm doing this on a NAS over 802.11g, and it works fine but starts up slowly. It also works slowly accessing the iTunes store.

One nice thing about this is being able to access the same iTunes library from multiple computers - just point them to the same iTunes database file on the external drive.

External drive doesn't have to connect over network. But yeah those points are valid for those circumstances.

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
I did this for years before I bought a newer computer with a larger internal hard drive.
Just make sure the actual library files are also on the drive you are using.

Alan64

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2009
California

iLounge has an excellent article on this: Transferring your iTunes Library

Not necessary. It's possible to have all the media on the external drive but the library on your internal drive.

The OP mentioned that he wanted to delete all the (music) files from his Macbook. If he deleted his library file as well, then he'd have problems. That's why I suggested he move the library file over to the same external drive. I suppose I should have gone into more detail and shouldn't have implied that he HAD to have the library file on the same drive.

NQK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Alabama, U.S.
Yes, as long as your iTunes library file is also on that external drive.

This may be a dumb question, so please forgive me, but how do I do that? I already have a complete copy of everything that 's on my laptop on the external HD.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
This may be a dumb question, so please forgive me, but how do I do that? I already have a complete copy of everything that 's on my laptop on the external HD.

There's a file called itunes library.itlb or something similar in your iTunes folder. That file needs to be on the external drive with the actual music files.

iTunes will re-create this file for you if you let it, but you'll lose your ratings, play counts, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.