Is it possible to downgrade to iOS 4.0.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sg01, Sep 14, 2010.

1. sg01 macrumors member

I am new to the iPhone and was wondering if anyone could let me know if it is possible for me to downgrade to iOS 4.0.1.

My phone currently runs 4.0.1 and I have been thinking of updating to iOS 4.1. I do have a slight proximity issue and would like to try the latest update. However, after reading up it seems that some people have not resolved this issue by upgrading.

I want to see if I will be lucky with the update. Does anyone know if I can downgrade if it doesn't work out for me? I do not want to jailbreak my phone, if this helps. Also, I have a factory unlocked phone so I have no worries about the unlock option.

2. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Make sure your SHSH blobs are saved via TinyUmbrella before you do *anything* else.

3. sg01 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice... I will read up on this as I've not heard of it before.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If u didn't save your shsh files earlier can't do it now. If u upgrade to 4.1 u will never be able to downgrade it.

5. sg01 thread starter macrumors member

I haven't updated my OS yet. I thought of asking around if it's possible to downgrade and I'm glad I asked.

Will I need to jailbreak my phone to downgrade?

Could someone provide me a link on the instructions to downgrade?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, even if you JB it now you will not be able to restore or downgrade it to 4.0.1 any more.
    You had to grab your shsh's from Apple while they were still releasing them before 4.0.2 came out.
    Now all you can get is 4.1 shsh's

7. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Can you downgrade if you download ios 4.01 from the internet, and than force the phone to restore to that file?