Is it possible to downgrade without SSHing?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by injendsm, Jul 3, 2010.

1. injendsm macrumors member

I upgraded to iOS4 shortly after it became available without realizing that barely anything from the update would even be functional on an iPhone 3G. Stupid mistake, I now realize. Anyway, a little back-story, I tried to jailbreak it using RedSn0w while following the tutorial on iClarified.com on how to do this using Windows. I got near the end of the restore process and a 1015 error popped up on the screen. I stopped and restarted the process only to run into the same problem a second time.

At that point, I decided to move onto the next step of the tutorial which was actually running RedSn0w. When prompted to select the firmware, I selected it and was alerted with another error message stating that RedSn0w didn't recognize the ispw I was trying to use (the exact same one from iClarified). I posted this part of the problem in the iOS4 jailbreak thread a few days ago and was given a couple links for the latest ispw & version of RedSn0w to download and they happened to be the same files, at least the same versions, from iClarified.com.

I downloaded the files just in case and decided to try the process once more. However, when I pressed Shift + Restore, the window opened showing me the Pwnage folder and the latest ispw wasn't there, only the 1.3.2 ispw was visible. This, of course, made no sense because when I opened the folder from the desktop, I was able to look directly at the iOS4 ispw. I'm not quite sure why I ran into this issue.

This brings me to my current question: is it possible to downgrade an iPhone 3G without SSHing? I'm not technically savvy enough to figure out how to SSH which is why I ask. If it's not, I was thinking that I could solve my problems by simply restoring the phone by only clicking the restore button in iTunes. It states next to "Restore" that it puts the phone back to it's factory settings. This is probably a stupid question, but would that mean it would put the phone back to the exact firmware it was on when I purchased the phone, erasing all my apps and information, or would it give me the option of selecting a backup, in which case I could choose a backup from when the phone was jailbroken?

I'm assuming the latter but figured I'd ask the experts. Thanks for your patience and help, everyone.

2. pyrophite macrumors member

The 3G can be downgraded, I did mine last night. There are tutorials on iClarified, as well as links to IPSWs for previous versions. You should be able to run Pwnage tools (their respective version) on the previous firmware (i restored to a custom 3.1.3 firmware from 4.0), and restored from my backup and all jailbroken settings were kosher. At worst you might have to put the phone into DFU mode, but no SSH is not necessary.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

A 3G can be upgraded and downgraded to any firmware and jailbroken and unlocked on any version.

No problems.

4. injendsm thread starter macrumors member

Ok, cool. Thanks for the help, guys. I'll start looking over the tutorials on iClarified about downgrading and attempt to take care of it. By the way, was I right in thinking that simply clicking restore on iTunes would result in my iPhone being restored to the way it was when I first got the phone?

5. injendsm thread starter macrumors member

I may just be missing it, but I looked on iClarified and didn't see a tutorial for downgrading. Any chance you could give me a link for the one you were talking about?

6. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Correct, just restore using one of the previous firmwares using iTunes and then jailbreak with Pwnage.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Restoring a 3G is so simple a caveman could do it.

8. injendsm thread starter macrumors member

I went there and selected the ipsw for a 3g with 3.1.2 because I wanted to use Blackra1n to jailbreak the phone. I've run into the same problem I ran into when trying to jailbreak iOS4 with RedSn0w: as I get to the last 15-20% of the restore process when attempting to downgrade the phone, the bs 1015 error message (the iPhone could not be restored, unknown error) pops up and won't allow me to go any further.

How can I get around this? I found this link in a quick google search but there wasn't much in the way of confirmation that it actually worked:

http://www.simonblog.com/2010/07/06/how-to-fix-itunes-1015-error/

All I want is to downgrade to 3.1.2:mad:

9. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I really just wish that it worked with the 3GS :)