Is it possible to Encrypt a tethered iPhone to Mac network connection?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DaSharkie, Feb 22, 2011.

1. DaSharkie, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

DaSharkie macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

I recently downloaded a tethering app so I can tether my Mac to my iPhone 3GS; because I absolutely REFUSE to give up my unlimited data plan for some squatty data plan + tethering.

I was wondering if there was any way to encrypt the connection so AT&T cannot see where the data is coming from?

I read on the archives somewhere that if you could encrypt the connection; it would be illegal for AT&T to look at where the data was being moved from? (like if you were on a Mac instead of your iPhone; browsing the web).

Is this physically possible?

*EDIT*

Took out the offensive media

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Pirating is not allowed on these forums in anyway.

3. DaSharkie thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry. I changed the post so it doesn't offend the forum.

Excuse my newbie-ness to MacBooks but I've had an :apple: for a year and a half.

4. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Is it pirating seeing as you can't get that app anymore...

Anyway I'm pretty sure you cannot hide from AT&T, however just don't overly do it data wise. I doubt they would look into your account unless you severely abused it.

5. DaSharkie thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed on the pirating ordeal. That is one app I would have gladly paid for; it's a lifesaver!

I kinda figured that; just wanted to confirm it though. Something about the Net Neutrality law? Idk. I just use it for emergencies only. *ahem* I mean; what I can't do on my iPhone's Safari browser I use my Mac for.

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I would argue that this isn't really pirating, since the proxying code that was used is widely available in the form of iProxy and can easily be used by any dev or anyone who knows a nice dev. The Handylight app itself might be been in violation of the Apache license.