Is it possible to export a display across the network?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by earltedly, Jul 20, 2009.

1. earltedly macrumors newbie

Here's the problem.

I'm currently using a previous generation mac mini. So that's no dual display capability without the expensive matrox dualhead thingy box.

I have a windows pc sitting next to it with two displays. When I'm developing on the mac it would be rather nice if I could use one of those displays with the mac.

I was wondering if it is somehow possible to set up an additional display on the mac (without the associated hardware) and then export this across the network so I can then view it on one of my PC monitors?

I'd then be able to drag things back and forth between the two... via the Mac's keyboard and mouse.

I know it's a tall order but perhaps someone will rise to the challenge :)

2. Queso macrumors G4

Installing any VNC client on the Windows box will handle the screen sharing bit, but you won't be able to drag from one screen to the other. For that it's best if you share a drop box on one of the computers. Just enable File Sharing on the Mac using SMB and the Windows box will be able to see it.

You'll find the Mac's Screen Sharing can be enabled in the System Preferences Sharing panel.

3. earltedly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Will that support my being able to see one virtual screen on one computer and one on the other?

My understanding was that I'd only be able to view one desktop at a time as if I only have one monitor.

Not sure I'm being entirely clear :(

4. earltedly thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tested it and it is as I thought.

The vnc client just sees what is on the mac mini, mirrored.

I want to have two separate desktops as if I had two monitors. One on the mac and the other displayed on the client machine.

I would then be able to use those screens as if I had two monitors plugged straight in rather than one.

5. earltedly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. You are today's Genius Hero of the Day. :D