Is it possible to force HD Netflix stream?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MicroApple, Nov 28, 2010.

1. MicroApple macrumors regular

My Apple TV 2 hardly ever plays neflix in full HD. My Xbox 360 always plays in HD. Both never have to buffer during the movie. Both are connected by wire ( I even tried changing wires, and they are in the same room.) So I controlled all variables but Xbox 360 always streams HD and Apple TV doesn't. It must be that the Apple TV's algorithm to change quality with speed is different. Anyways I know my connection is up to it, so is there anyway I can force Apple TV to stream at the highest quality possible? I don't even mind waiting for buffering, I just want to watch in high quality.

2. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

i maybe wrong but i think you have to be on the blu-ray plan to view HD instant videos. That's how it used to be a year ago, but i haven't used Netflix since

3. MicroApple thread starter macrumors regular

4. peterjcat macrumors 6502

I couldn't get Netflix to stay at HD quality until I stopped using wireless and plugged the Apple TV directly into the router -- maybe the slight increase in latency or whatever? How are you connected?

5. MicroApple thread starter macrumors regular

Both Xbox 360, and Apple TV 2 connected by ethernet cable to my router.

6. kellygeorge macrumors member

Gigabit?

I realize this thread is old, but I just came across it. Could it be that the AppleTV is not a gigabit connection? I don't know what your router set up is, but the AppleTV does not have a gigabit ethernet port, where as the 360 does (I think). This could explain bitrate differences between the two devices.

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

100 is more than enough to handle most home internet connections.
    gigabit will give you a boost on sharing from one device to another inside your network.

so, no.