Is it possible to get a character extension on a thread?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by celticpride678, Aug 4, 2009.

1. celticpride678

I have this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=723535 (it is really popular) and I am almost out of characters on the original post where all the information is.

Is there any way to get an extension on characters allowed because it is a popular thread? Thanks.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You can't put more content in post #1 (we can't disable the limit on a particular post), but post #4 is yours, so you could continue your list there.

It would be against forum policy for us to remove the posts by Pgohlke and kailess in between #1 and #4 (unless they volunteer), but you can put "continued in" and "continued from" links at the bottom of post #1 and the top of post #4 to make it clear that the list has expanded to 2 posts.

3. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Is there any way to move their two posts down and then create my own #2 post?

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

No. Posts aren't ordered manually, they are ordered by date and time.

Another choice is to start a new thread, with as many posts as necessary (it's not against the rules to make consecutive posts when it's because of limits on post size). Then we could close the original thread with a message to refer to the new thread. The downside is that there would be discussion in both threads.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Might one more option be to move the long list to the Guides or something, where there isn't a length limit, and just link it into the first post?

6. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

What about this:

I make a new thread with the OP of the current thread and then the next post would be an extension. Then, you merge the two threads and remove the OP of the original thread. Is this possible? It seems like the easiest way.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Nope. Your new posts would come out last in the merged thread. Posts are always ordered by date and merging doesn't change that post order. You're not the first person to run into this issue; I've run into it myself when my posts got too large, and I've had to pick from among the same less-than-ideal choices.

8. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

OK. That's fine. I guess I will have to go with your option of starting a new thread. Would you be the one putting a new notice in or me? I will begin a new thread now with the OP of this current thread and then an extension post.

Also, can we sticky the two threads? They got unstickied for some reason.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Have you looked into making it a guide instead? Then others might more easily be able to contribute also.

Most of the stickies were removed from the iPhone forum and replaced with a mega-sticky.