Is it possible to get a replacement MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by christall109, Nov 15, 2007.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

Hey All,

I have my MacBook Pro for about a year and three months. Over of which, I have had an increasing amount of hardware issues and some software. I do have AppleCare for 3 years and sent it in once already, and will be sending it again this Thanksgiving, as I am a student and need my MPB.

These issues include:

Screwed up PMS
    For a couple months now when I shutdown my MacBook Pro it will stay off for about thirty seconds and then turn on again. Just for clarity I did choose shutdown..not restart.

Other interesting symptoms:
    It stays off when the power cord is NOT plugged in.
    It only seems to happen when the power cord is plugged in.
    Even with the lid shut it will come on and go to sleep..and when i open it up it is at the Mac OSX system starting up page.
    I've reseted the Power Management System (PMS) numerous times, it had absolutely now effect.

"Whine"/Screen inverter issue(Fixed)
    This was fixed along with my DVD drive

Optical Drive Failure(Fixed)
    Total loss of DVD burning functionality.
    Would not play DVDs, made lots of loud noises

Battery Life is Gone, after Battery Update
    I know have about 39% Battery Health and only 210 cycles. Can only hold a charge for about 50 minutes. Never completely charges. Max charge is 96%

What should I about these issues? I will most likely send it in over thanksgiving, but it seems like I just got a defective unit. If I make a polite call, would there be any chance of them replacing it for a referb? I mean I'm just waiting to see what will happen next

Thanks in advance,

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

3. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks,

Any tips about how to go about this. Anyone know how often they replace units that have issues?

4. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Be polite, but firm and say that you paid for a NEW, FUNCTIONAL laptop, and you didnt recieve one that worked right from the get-go, and that you can only expect them to replace it with a brand-new MBP.

EDIT: You know, you might actually be smarter having a refurbished model.. they're more thoroughly tested, so you know you wont get a dud, and it wont be any more used than your last one.

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

They usually give out a replacement unit after the third repair attempt. But since you're a student and will *need* the laptop, have a chat with the manager or something and they might be nice enough to give you a replacement/refurb MBP.

6. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.. Should I go to the Apple Store or call?

7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

If you're close to the store = walk-in, if you're far and away from the store = call. Good luck again!