Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is it possible to get bored by Android as people get bored by iOS?

• Yes

Votes: 75 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Just wondering. I wasn't "bored" but rather frustrated by iOS not having obvious features year by year so this doesn't apply to me. I see a lot of people here say "I'm bored with iOS" so I'm wondering if the same could apply to Android users like myself.

Doggman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
I have grown bored of iOS after owning an iPhone 4 from the day it was released until now. Bored has been misunderstood in alot of cases recently though on these forums I feel like. Just because someone is bored with something doesn't mean there is something "wrong" with it necessarily. Its just familiar and not "new" anymore. Nothing wrong with wanting a little change. I am bored with iOS but at the same time I LOVE my iPhone and could not go without it to be honest.

However due to me being "bored" with iOS I did however buy my first Android device today - an ASUS Infinity TF700 - should be here within the week and I'm pretty excited :D

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I think that much like anything, familiarity breeds contempt. People just get tired of the same ole same ole. There are lots of forums about people switching to iOS from Android.

People either fear or embrace change.

Me I am not too keen on change, but it helps keep the brain from getting lazy.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
When people are trading in their Android for another phone I often ask why. The #1 complain in my experience is instability. Many have phones that are now two years old and doing weird things.

My buddy had a Droid Eris that would randomly call people or delay input on the dial pad for as much as 30 seconds.
He had finally had enough and got a 4S for he and his wife.

He liked the ability to customize his Android but that wasn't worth dealing with phones that were problematic.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Sure, why not?

I returned my Nexus 7 tablet.
I think most people will agree that you can do more with an Android phone than with an iPhone.

----------

My buddy had a Droid Eris that would randomly call people or delay input on the dial pad for as much as 30 seconds.

He liked the ability to customize his Android but that wasn't worth dealing with phones that were problematic.
To be fair, Android 2.0 was problematic. Android 4.0.4 devices that are selling now have very few big issues. I'm running JB and have never had it call people randomly.

iOS2 had issues too, not as bad as Android 2.0 did, but the lesson here is that its usually a bad idea to be an early or semi-adopter.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Of course.

The difference is, Android gives you the option to change virtually everything, if you wanted to, without any sort of rooting/jailbreaking/hacking.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
To be fair, Android 2.0 was problematic. Android 4.0.4 devices that are selling now have very few big issues. I'm running JB and have never had it call people randomly.

iOS2 had issues too, not as bad as Android 2.0 did, but the lesson here is that its usually a bad idea to be an early or semi-adopter.

I know, I told a woman recently that a lot of stuff has been cleaned up in Android but like we see iOS people walking across the bridge to Android we see other folks reader for a change as well. There's always going to be churn no matter how good your phone is.

Last edited:

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Of course.

The difference is, Android gives you the option to change virtually everything, if you wanted to, without any sort of rooting/jailbreaking/hacking.

While that is true, sometimes people become bored of customization in general rather than just the look of it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
While that is true, sometimes people become bored of customization in general rather than just the look of it.

Yeah, for sure. It takes effort, and at some point, you just get tired.

That's why I want the Nexus line to succeed. It gives you the option to change the few things you want, but also creates a standard for Android.

The Nexus line has a lot of room to grow though. This is both good and bad at the moment. The Nexus 7 makes things look promising for the next Nexus smartphone...

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I'm sure its possible if you've been using it long enough and haven't received any updates on your phone model

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It's not possible, because if you want to run a UI that looks like a LCARS system from Star Trek, and there isn't one, you can program it yourself. Most people probably won't, but it is possible.

And you didn't ask if it's probable, just possible ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's not possible, because if you want to run a UI that looks like a LCARS system from Star Trek, and there isn't one, you can program it yourself. Most people probably won't, but it is possible.

And you didn't ask if it's probable, just possible ;)

True, programming the UI to look like a LCARS system from Star Trek doesn't sound boring at all. :rolleyes: :D

Besides, there is one...free interactive live wall paper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gr4y4yumDE

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Exactly. I wasn't bored of iOS either. I was tired of waiting for features that Android has had for years.

IOS 6 was what finally drove me to Android, and I gotta say in very happy I changed. Now I perfectly know what I can get from iOS and from Android for future decisions.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Sure, I've had numerous friends switch for various reasons. Is Android more buggy? Yes. Does it take more tweaking and downloading of apps to get it how you like it? Sure does. Do people get sick of doing all that and just wanna switch to something simple? Absolutely! People bounce from iOS to Android and back to iOS just much as people bounce from Android to iOS and back to Android.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I get bored of my devices more than I get bored of Android. I had my last Android device for 1 year 8 months before I was craving something new. I've now had my Galaxy Nexus for just a few months and can't wait for the release of a new this winter (if any happens)

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I don't get how somebody could customize so much that they get bored of it.

I just get my phone to the way I like, which just involves me downloading a custom ROM and fiddling with the settings for 10 mins, and then I stick to it, forever.

----------

Exactly. I wasn't bored of iOS either. I was tired of waiting for features that Android has had for years.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to tell people here.

Nobody would get bored with iOS if it simply allowed a certain level of customization. It doesn't even have to be "Android-level" customization. It just has to be things like being able to change what kind of info is displayed instead of just showing me grids of icons, and picking what programs I can set as default.

I'll never get "bored" of Android because Android acts how a mobile OS should act.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I wasn't "bored" but rather frustrated by iOS not having obvious features year by year

This was my reason for switching away from Android. I accepted the lack of obvious features with the first iPhone but by the 4S I realised Apple are probably never going to introduce them, so made the switch. I was also getting tired of the tiled homepage.

I may not be able to remember a lot of them, but the features I got tired of waiting for were:

- Bluetooth file transfer
- Easy wifi/bluetooth toggle
- Easy brightness adjustment (although has that now changed?)
- Timed profiles (so my phone doesn't beep when I'm sleeping)
- Removal of the silent switch (too easy to switch on/off in the pocket)
- Email not given same priority as calls/texts
- No icons for emails etc. in the toolbar
- No SD card slot/expandable memory
- Larger screen
- Unable to personalise the new email tone

There were loads more, but that's all I can remember right now.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I think most people will agree that you can do more with an Android phone than with an iPhone.

-

I almost always use android phones and iPhones side by side except recently when i only have a GS3 and no iPhone now. I have yet to discover those "more" stuff that android devices do.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I almost always use android phones and iPhones side by side except recently when i only have a GS3 and no iPhone now. I have yet to discover those "more" stuff that android devices do.
You just had the post above yours give you a good number of stuff to start you off with.

Care to be more honest with your next post?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
When people are trading in their Android for another phone I often ask why. The #1 complain in my experience is instability. Many have phones that are now two years old and doing weird things.

i had that with an old blackberry on sprint

i used to joke it was a carrier scam to run up minutes. funny thing is that it would only call one number like this

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
You just had the post above yours give you a good number of stuff to start you off with.

Care to be more honest with your next post?

You post a thread claiming to be genuinely curious about your question and then you seem to claim your personal opinion on this matter as fact.

If you really want a good discussion, accept that other people believe differently about the subject matter. To me, it just seems like you wanted another place to evangelize about how crappy iOS is and how amazing Android is.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Yes & Yes...

Its always possible to get board.

But board, (or not), people have to face the facts... theres more Iphone than there is Android.:apple:

Much as i'd like to belive i'm over them too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.