Is it possible to get EVERYTHING moved from one Mac to another?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iChaseH, Jul 1, 2012.

1. iChaseH macrumors member

iChaseH

I have a newer MacBook Air and I recently bought the new MacBook Pro with Retina display. I have a lot of stuff on my Air. Like programs, movies, pictures, and everything like that. I'm wondering if I can get everything moved from my Air to the new Pro. I want basically a mirror of everything that is on my Air moved onto my Pro. I'm probably going to go to the Apple Store and have them do this for me so I don't mess anything up. But is it possible for them to move absolutely everything?

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Yes, Migration assistant is designed to do exactly that.

3. anonnymouse macrumors regular

4. iChaseH thread starter macrumors member

iChaseH

And to do this do I have to make an appointment at an Apple Store?

5. anonnymouse macrumors regular

You can do it at home yourself with Migration Assistant. You have a new Mac, which means you have at least 90 days of free telephone tech support from AppleCare, 800-275-2273.

If you want Apple to do the data migration, you need to have purchased One to One (or pay $99 for data migration, which is the same price as One to One).

If you really just need a bit of guidance to get yourself started, then by all means call your nearest Apple Store and ask for a Genius Bar appointment for Mac (15 minutes, free).

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member