Is it possible to get the iPhone 7 full priced without having to sign up for a carrier ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Sep 10, 2016.

1. The Lions Den macrumors regular

The Lions Den

Only the T-mobile iphone on Apple.com will let you purchase the phone without needing a carrier.

2. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I know at least att and Verizon requires a carrier.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

SIM Free isn't available yet and will probably be a minimum of 2 weeks. SIM free units typically become available once stock has recovered. So if it's like the iPhone 6 it probably won't be available until Jan.

4. kendo88 macrumors regular

well whats the difference between sim free and paying full price for an unlocked one?

5. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

iPhone 6S was available within a couple of weeks of launch. AFAIK 8th October was when they launched it.

Almost no difference. Only thing this year is GSM and GSM+CDMA are two different models so if you buy a T-MO unlocked, it will work on T-MO and AT&T and all other GSM carriers but not on Verizon or Sprint.

If you buy a true SIM-Free or a full price Verizon it will be a true universal phone that works on GSM and CDMA.

6. kendo88 macrumors regular

Ok. So I am travelling to the US next week, there for a couple of weeks, hoping to be able to pick one up in the store, unlocked to bring back to the UK, buying an unlocked GSM will be the same as a sim free for me?

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

As I said. A minimum of 2 weeks. But 6s' never sold out last year on pre-order. That's why they were available earlier. I'm willing to bet it will be closer to Jan this year like the iPhone 6.

8. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Just go to the apple store and ask for a full price verizon or T-mo. Don't mention unlock or anything.

9. joe8232 macrumors regular

For the Uk you'll be fine buying the T-Mobile one, it just won't work with Verizon here in the US. I'm a Brit Living in the US and use 3 in Uk and T-Mobile here.

10. mobidutch macrumors member

Yes, you could buy ANY iPhone 7 model at any of the 4 major carriers, and it will work in the UK. Not sure if carriers will let you buy one without a contract though.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

TMO is still the GSM only device. He would need a sprint or Verizon device. And Apple won't sell either without being part of that carrier.

12. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Yes, don't ask for an unlocked phone, they'll pretend it's not possible. Use the words "device only".
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2016 ---
    You can buy them in store, just not online.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Are you sure? I know others that said they couldn't.

14. duaneu macrumors 6502a

You can if you walk into an Apple Store (assuming they have any in stock).

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Hmm interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

16. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

From what I can see in the ordering process it's not even possible to get a new phone number online preorder even paying full price. You must be upgrading an existing phone number to check out.

17. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

You can get a T-MO one. I ordered 2x Full Price T-mo without even having tmobile.

18. kendo88 macrumors regular

Not sure that is correct. I would want a T-Mobile or AT&T device as these are the same GSM models as sold in the UK.

I would want model A1784 which is T-Mobile/AT&T.

Model A1661 is the sprint/Verizon/us cellular/boost variant which is not compatible in the UK

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

2 years ago it was January. Last year it was first week of October. Time will tell this year.

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I thought it was confirmed that the CDMA was GSM+CDMA. A true world phone. While the GSM is literally only GSM.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/08/att-and-tmobile-iphone-7-models-lack-cdma/

Both phones share the same bands except A1661 offers CDMA and GSM.

21. kendo88 macrumors regular

either way, A1784 seems to be the phone that will be distributed in the UK, as we have absolutely no use for CDMA, so that would be the one I would want to pick up in the US