Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Lions Den

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2016
Only the T-mobile iphone on Apple.com will let you purchase the phone without needing a carrier.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
SIM Free isn't available yet and will probably be a minimum of 2 weeks. SIM free units typically become available once stock has recovered. So if it's like the iPhone 6 it probably won't be available until Jan.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
SIM Free isn't available yet and will probably be a minimum of 2 weeks. SIM free units typically become available once stock has recovered. So if it's like the iPhone 6 it probably won't be available until Jan.
well whats the difference between sim free and paying full price for an unlocked one?

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011

iPhone 6S was available within a couple of weeks of launch. AFAIK 8th October was when they launched it.

well whats the difference between sim free and paying full price for an unlocked one?

Almost no difference. Only thing this year is GSM and GSM+CDMA are two different models so if you buy a T-MO unlocked, it will work on T-MO and AT&T and all other GSM carriers but not on Verizon or Sprint.

If you buy a true SIM-Free or a full price Verizon it will be a true universal phone that works on GSM and CDMA.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
iPhone 6S was available within a couple of weeks of launch. AFAIK 8th October was when they launched it.

Almost no difference. Only thing this year is GSM and GSM+CDMA are two different models so if you buy a T-MO unlocked, it will work on T-MO and AT&T and all other GSM carriers but not on Verizon or Sprint.

If you buy a true SIM-Free or a full price Verizon it will be a true universal phone that works on GSM and CDMA.
Ok. So I am travelling to the US next week, there for a couple of weeks, hoping to be able to pick one up in the store, unlocked to bring back to the UK, buying an unlocked GSM will be the same as a sim free for me?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
As I said. A minimum of 2 weeks. But 6s' never sold out last year on pre-order. That's why they were available earlier. I'm willing to bet it will be closer to Jan this year like the iPhone 6.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Ok. So I am travelling to the US next week, there for a couple of weeks, hoping to be able to pick one up in the store, unlocked to bring back to the UK, buying an unlocked GSM will be the same as a sim free for me?

Just go to the apple store and ask for a full price verizon or T-mo. Don't mention unlock or anything.

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2005
For the Uk you'll be fine buying the T-Mobile one, it just won't work with Verizon here in the US. I'm a Brit Living in the US and use 3 in Uk and T-Mobile here.

mobidutch

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Texas
Yes, you could buy ANY iPhone 7 model at any of the 4 major carriers, and it will work in the UK. Not sure if carriers will let you buy one without a contract though.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Just go to the apple store and ask for a full price verizon or T-mo. Don't mention unlock or anything.
TMO is still the GSM only device. He would need a sprint or Verizon device. And Apple won't sell either without being part of that carrier.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Yes, don't ask for an unlocked phone, they'll pretend it's not possible. Use the words "device only".
[doublepost=1473540351][/doublepost]
TMO is still the GSM only device. He would need a sprint or Verizon device. And Apple won't sell either without being part of that carrier.
You can buy them in store, just not online.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Yes, don't ask for an unlocked phone, they'll pretend it's not possible. Use the words "device only".
[doublepost=1473540351][/doublepost]
You can buy them in store, just not online.

Are you sure? I know others that said they couldn't.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
From what I can see in the ordering process it's not even possible to get a new phone number online preorder even paying full price. You must be upgrading an existing phone number to check out.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
From what I can see in the ordering process it's not even possible to get a new phone number online preorder even paying full price. You must be upgrading an existing phone number to check out.

You can get a T-MO one. I ordered 2x Full Price T-mo without even having tmobile.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
Not sure that is correct. I would want a T-Mobile or AT&T device as these are the same GSM models as sold in the UK.

I would want model A1784 which is T-Mobile/AT&T.

Model A1661 is the sprint/Verizon/us cellular/boost variant which is not compatible in the UK

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
As I said. A minimum of 2 weeks. But 6s' never sold out last year on pre-order. That's why they were available earlier. I'm willing to bet it will be closer to Jan this year like the iPhone 6.
2 years ago it was January. Last year it was first week of October. Time will tell this year.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Not sure that is correct. I would want a T-Mobile or AT&T device as these are the same GSM models as sold in the UK.

I would want model A1784 which is T-Mobile/AT&T.

Model A1661 is the sprint/Verizon/us cellular/boost variant which is not compatible in the UK

I thought it was confirmed that the CDMA was GSM+CDMA. A true world phone. While the GSM is literally only GSM.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/08/att-and-tmobile-iphone-7-models-lack-cdma/

Both phones share the same bands except A1661 offers CDMA and GSM.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.