is it possible to get Windows from old PC?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cyborg21, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Hi! First of all Sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language. I am planning to switch to Mac. But I want to install Windows on it via Bootcamp / Parallels. I know that I need an activation code for running them. There is a sticker on my PC with Windows activation code on it. I am using that windows copy now. Am I able to delete windows from this PC and use it on my future Mac? Thank you!

2. McGiord, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I stand corrected…
    Obviously it is not what Microsoft wants.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=oF_9f8PHuxh
    From the website:
    "Transfer of license
    Q. Can my customers transfer or sell their OEM software licenses?
    Q. My customer bought a new PC and wants to move the OEM software from the old PC to the new one. Can't users do whatever they want with their software?
    A. No, the OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The End User Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, state that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why OEM System Builder licenses can't be transferred."

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Technically, no. That license is for use only on that PC, that's why that sticker is hard to remove without destroying it. That license is for installation by the OEM and reinstallation using the recovery options provided by that OEM. It's also tied to the BIOS in the system.

----------

He has the serial, he wants to use that serial on another installation.

4. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Is it windows 7? If so, read this: How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc

I followed that process several months ago to clean install windows 7 on a Mac Mini (Parallels) without the CD. I used the activation sticker from my dead win 7 netbook.

5. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You can. MS frowns on using an OEM copy multiple times, though it's a rare occasion that they actually enforce the rule. 9 times out of 10, if you have any problems getting your key to register on activation, you call up tech support and they let it through no problem.

That said, things might be a bit different for a Mac. I know they require you to use a full version instead of an upgrade copy when installing Windows on a Mac, so it's possible they won't be quite as loose with the rules there.