Is it possible to gut a MBA and install MBP parts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HeroGuy, Jul 26, 2015.

1. HeroGuy macrumors newbie

HeroGuy

I have water damage on my 13" MBA and while exploring my options I wondered if it would be at all possible to keep the unibody frame and simply install my MBP parts inside of it, also 13".

*Also note: my MBP is before the retina versions where Apple soldered the insides.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Hmm, if I were you, I would throw it to genius bar.

3. HeroGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

HeroGuy

Not a fan when it comes to larger issues. I find that, while doing excellent work, they charge quite a bit for jobs I can do myself.

4. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Of course if device is in warranty, charge would be more acceptable.

I just don't have the ability to DIY repairing my computer because I broke one of my PC laptop before when trying to fix it by myself.

5. motrek macrumors 68020

This would be impossible. If absolutely nothing else, how would the ports work?

6. HeroGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

HeroGuy

At the very least could I take the ram and storage out of the Air and install them into my Pro?

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The RAM is permanently installed in the MBAir. There's no possibility of using that RAM in a MacBook Pro.
    The storage in the MBAir (SSD) will be a device using a card-edge connector, and not a standard 2.5-inch SATA. Depending on age, it will be either SATA or PCIe, and probably not swappable to any MBPro. Note: I THINK if both are newer than Late 2013, then the SSDs might be swappable, if you are lucky to have the correct models of both.
    Most models will not have SSDs that can be interchanged.

8. newellj, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

newellj macrumors 601

You could just randomly drill holes until you had clearance for the connectors. You might have battery problems but you could use a belt sander to trim the battery. The case lid is a little thin but there's always a hammer.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

OP in a word no there is no way they would fit.

As for using RAM and SSD again a no.

In other words you can't do what you want to do in any way shape or form.

10. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

This reply tells me you really should not pursue this any further.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OWC sells an external USB enclosure here you could put the drive in and use it as an external on another machine. This is for 2012 and older Air models only.

12. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Have you given any consideration to stripping it down yourself and scrubbing (gently) all of the parts with alcohol. You might be able to get the system to a point where it might boot and allow you to identify what parts may be damaged. You might also get lucky and put it back together and find that it works. I worked on a “pepsi damaged” MBA last year and I was able to revive it using this method. I was definitely not very hopeful when I started, given that this was pepsi, but after a couple of tear downs it was all working (and still is).

iFixit has some great tear down guides.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Air_13"