Is it possible to have a BT monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ardchoille50, Jan 4, 2017.

1. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I sit here with my Mac mini (late 2012) using a Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard, both of which are connected via Bluetooth. Is it possible to have a monitor that connects using that same technology? Is Bluetooth able to handle the amount of data needed for a monitor to accomplish its task?

This may be a silly question, but I know next to nothing about Bluetooth.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Not currently. Much more data bandwidth would be required than BT can currently send. But one day for sure.

3. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

I kind of had the feeling that would be the answer. Thank you very much.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

For some idea of what it would be like, try screen sharing(or VNC) over a WiFi connection some time. 802.11g is 54mbit/s, which is about the same as that of Bluetooth 5(50) and twice that of Bluetooth 4(25).

Even over an N connection, you will likely find that VNC is laggy and can give you screen artifacts. At least for me, I use VNC for things like controlling headless servers or just avoiding walking upstairs to turn off a computer :) . I don't do them for any GPU-intensive tasks, and it would be miserable to use it that way.

5. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

You'd be able to do it over Wifi AC, but would have issues if other devices take up traffic at key times.