Is it possible to have a SSD and a HDD (Using Optibay) & partion *both* for bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattcube64, Jun 22, 2009.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

What I'd like to do is get an Optibay with a 500GB HDD, and then get a small SSD (probably 80gigs or less, to stay cheap). Then, I'd like to partition them both 50/50.

That way, I can boot OSX from the SSD and have all my big files on the HDD. Then, I can boot Windows from that same SSD and again, save bigger files on the 250GBs of space I'd have available on the HDD.

Sorry if this has been covered. I did a MR search and a Google search, and I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer...

Thanks!

2. watergun macrumors regular

Not sure about the uMBP but I did something similar to your planned setup on my uMB. What I would suggest is that you install both OSes (OS X and Windows) first before you take out the SuperDrive. I remember that installing OS X from external CD drive is okay, but not Windows though. For some reasons (either uMB itself or the external CD drive), I just could not boot Windows XP CD from the external CD drive.

Once you are done with the OS installation, you can then proceed with replacing the SuperDrive with the Optibay + 500GB HDD.

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

sure you can, i have managed to do it with ssd in raid 0 also