Is it possible to have cable tv on a Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gamosa, Mar 25, 2010.

1. gamosa macrumors newbie

Is there some kind of cable or connection that would allow me to have my cable tv play on my Mac? In my den/home office I basically have a tv and a Mac sitting side by side - seems kinda crazy since I can watch movies and such on my Mac, just thought maybe I could eliminate the tv altogether.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can buy a device like the Elgato EyeTV that allows input via USB.

3. rjames86 macrumors member

Elgato's EyeTV is the way to go. I've used one for about 4 years now and I love it. I'm a poor college student and simply have bunny ears plugged in. Still get 4-5 HD over the air channels.

4. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Another vote for EyeTV. :) It's awesome. I have two tuners. An EyeTV Hybrid and an EyeTV 250. I used to have a tuner in my old Windows computer and I had a lot of experience with tuners, but the EyeTV experience is in a league of it's own as far as User Interface goes.

5. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

Ditto

Plus the EyeTV Hybrid can be used in windows media player as well.

6. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I know the new one can... can the old ones too? I never tried. I know that the internals are the same as the Hauppage tuners so probably.

7. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Stipposedly Equinux makes the TubeStick? My cousin Zeke had a one before his MBP got stolen. It's designed not to interfere with other USB ports. Everytime I've looked to get one it's out of stock at MacMall, etc.