Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Hey Folks,

Relatively new to Mac, and I'm v. happy to have made the change. The only thing currently niggling at me is I miss folder previews. (In case I've used a wrong name for them, I mean where the folder's icon is a preview of its contents, much like in windows xp.)

Can anyone advise a way to bring this about? I've looked around a bit and can't seem to find a way to do it in Tiger.

I recently went back to college fulltime though, so sadly I don't have the funds to buy applications that might do this... freeware is my best shot.

Thanks in advance for any advice people may have.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Hey Folks,

Relatively new to Mac, and I'm v. happy to have made the change. The only thing currently niggling at me is I miss folder previews. (In case I've used a wrong name for them, I mean where the folder's icon is a preview of its contents, much like in windows xp.)

Can anyone advise a way to bring this about? I've looked around a bit and can't seem to find a way to do it in Tiger.

I recently went back to college fulltime though, so sadly I don't have the funds to buy applications that might do this... freeware is my best shot.

Thanks in advance for any advice people may have.

I am not sure whether this is possible or not in OSX ( I don't even see the need for it ) However, check out this site.

http://macupdate.com/

It has a lot of 3rd party apps both free and not. Even if you don't find what you are looking for i know you will find some other great, most likely pointless, things on this website. Good luck.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
From Mac Help - Search>folder icon

Changing the icon of a file or folder
You can use custom icons for any file or folder in the Finder. You can create your own icons or download icons from websites on the Internet. Once you have custom images, you can replace icons for items.

In the Finder, select a file whose icon you want to use.
Choose File > Get Info.
Click the icon in the Info window and choose Edit > Copy.
Select the file whose icon you want to replace and choose File > Get Info.
Select the icon in the Info window and choose Edit > Paste.

Does that help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.