Is it possible to have multiple itunes libraries?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anotherarunan, Feb 17, 2008.

1. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Hey people..sorry if this is an easy answer.

Just wanted to know is it possible to have multiple music libraries on the same HD? I.e have music in 2 different languages and want to keep them seperate so is it possible?

btw, i'd be interested to know, if there is a solution, is it something that everyone knows how to do...just wanna feel less like an idiot :D because i wouldnt really consider myself a noob.

2. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Open iTunes while holding down option and it'll allow you to create a new library or choose a separate library.

3. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Here is the strange thing... actually, I think it is a bug.

I have three libraries: Music, Spanish, Speeches.

In Preferences>Advanced I have my main library at External:iTunes:Music

All my music files are there.

I created two more libraries, one for Spanish stuff and one for speeches I collect. Their real paths are:

External:iTunes:Spanish
    External:iTunes:Speeches

When I opened up my new Spanish library it was empty and in Preferences>Advanced it was pointing to the wrong directory. I changed it to the correct path and added files.

I then opened Speeches and it under Preferences>Advanced it was now pointing at the Spanish library. :mad:

So I changed it.

I opened my main music library and it was now pointing at the Speeches directory! :mad:

I changed it to the right path and iTunes started moving stuff (I stopped it) but now there are some songs that are grayed out because iTunes can't find them but they are in the right place but iTunes is brain farting! :mad:

Help!

4. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

That behaviour of iTunes is expectable. If you change your library, you have to change the path where it stores your music as well, every time. I don't like it either, but that's how it works at the moment.

5. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

6. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

wouldn't creating different users and using fast user switching better? they are "separate" but they are in the same HD. that was your criteria, right?

another way, although might not what you mean. how about creating smart folders?