Is it possible to have OS X Auto Resize Windows to fit? Like Windows 7 does?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kman79, Oct 2, 2010.

1. kman79 macrumors regular

I could have sworn this was possible and I just can't remember how to do it.

In Windows 7, the OS is able to resize the windows to where it splits the screen between the two open windows equally. I could have sworn OS X is able to do the same thing, but I can't remember.

I have a lot of papers and careplans to right, and this feature would really help me out.

Am I wrong or is this not possible?

2. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

Are you talking about Aero'snap' in Win 7? If so, there is no equivalent in OS X. However, there are third party apps like Cinch that automatically create equal sized pages. If you get SizeUp from the same company, you can also make quadrants.

3. skillets macrumors newbie

4. ender land macrumors 6502a

I got this app as part of a software bundle and love it - http://mizage.com/divvy/

I have it setup for control + 1 to "maximize" (ie fill entire screen), control + 2 for left half, control + 3 for right half.

I think it's a little pricey to get by itself but it lets you do all sorts of customization with a grid and shortcuts. I just happen to like the full screen and left/right enough to actually make shortcuts :)

5. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

I find that my Mac can do a much better job of moving windows to the left and right of screen than Windows 7 by downloading BetterTouch Tool (FREE) and setting up 3 finger swiping Left and Right. You can adjust the windows size by %, I use 60% left and 40% right on my Mac desktop screen with a Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse. I also use 3 finger swipe Up and Down to go to the Beginning of a page or the Bottom of a page. I find this a lot easier and faster than grabbing a window and dragging it to the edge of the screen. BetterTouch Tool has a way to set up your Mac like Windows 7 but I just use that to set up Screen % and then turn it back off and use the 3 finger swipe instead.

Attached Files:

• BTT.png
      BTT.png
      File size:
      115 KB
      Views:
  6. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Another vote for bettertouchtool.
    The window resizing thing is nifty, I haven't played much with the swipe stuff, other than setting it "reverse"

7. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

8. cxc macrumors member

There is also a tool called cinch which can be bought on the app store.
    It pretty much does what Win 7 does.

I like ;)I

9. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

+1 for BTT. One of the best free apps out there.

10. KlytusLord, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

KlytusLord macrumors regular

Natively, no. Window management is extremely different in OSX versus any version of MS Windows (I hate the Apple vs. Microsoft debate, so this is not in any way implying one is better than the other. It's just the way it is.)

Of the third party apps, I actually prefer Cinch. BetterTouchTool is a very cool app and the fact it is free certainly is a "selling" point. However, its primary model is to use multi touch gestures, which means it is not a close emulator to the functionality of MS Windows 7.

There is also an app via the App Store called BetterSnap Tool, which behaves likes MS Windows 7 by using the edges of the screen as the trigger for the resizing. It sells for 2 or 3 dollar, I believe.

11. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

BTT can be set to do this as well by checking the "enable window snapping" checkbox under General in preferences.

12. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

BetterTouchTool does have a Windows Snap tool built into it. But it does have a much better way, I feel, to get the same results with just a flick of the window Left or Right and not have to drag a window to the edge of the desktop, much faster and easier. See my last post to see how to set it up, dragging a window to the edge before it will snap seems so old and outdated now that my Mac can just flick a window to the side I want it. In the windows style Snap tool you have to click on the window you want to move to make it the active window then drag to the edge, with BetterTouchTool you can set it up to move the window that the cursor is over, even if it is not the active window.

13. elVince macrumors newbie

I dont own a magic mouse, or magictrackpad, and i rather not take my hand off my standard mouse.. i might be lazy just be lazy but.. cinch size up seems much easier:
    http://loneplacebo.com/cinch-sizeup-review/