Is it possible to have osx server abilities on windows pc?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by e-r-a-n, Nov 29, 2013.

1. e-r-a-n macrumors member

Hello everyone,
    My question is quite simple, but hopefuly there's (even a complex) answer.
    I have a regular home desktop running windows.
    Other than that, two macbooks, external storage (HFS format) and would really like to have the dekstop act as a local server, for time machine backups, storage sharing and such.
    I dont mind have it run windows or linux, but is it possible to have it act as a media center (xbmc with ati 5450/6450 video card with hdmi) and also have osx server abilities?
    The idea is to have it connected to my living room TV, but also behave as a server.

2. snarfquest macrumors regular

Well... maybe..

You could turn it into a Hackintosh if the hardware specs are suitable.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

5. dimme macrumors 65816

You have a few options but you will if your willing to lose the ability to use it as a desktop windows machine.
    One option is to run Amahi home server.
    http://www.amahi.org
    I use this setup before I set up a mini running OS X, I do not think it will do time machine.

Next you can try free has. or else you can use anyone of a few linux distress. There are time machine hacks out there that work OK, however you may need to change them as apple updates the software. I would use super duper as a backup also.
    As far as media center options go I read about a few for linux but have no personal experience.
    Good Luck and have fun.
    Let us know what works out for you.

6. e-r-a-n thread starter macrumors member

Well, Seems that Running Ubuntu or other linux distrib. will be the all-in-one package for me.
    as It seems it can run amahi server and server files, do time machine backups..
    and of course its easy to work with, I can run xbmc on it with no problem.
    I'll give it a try

I tried installing tonymacx86 yesterday but it appears that the hardware isnt fully working - bad resolution and sound issues. I found other with similar setup complaining about it as well

7. snarfquest macrumors regular

You might also want to give FreeNas a look. I used it for a few years and was very happy with it.

http://www.freenas.org/