Is it possible to hide an app on Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skyRanger, Aug 17, 2016.

1. skyRanger macrumors newbie

I want to hide an application so that it cannot be seen on launchpad, application section of Finder or through simple search. Is it possible to do this? I've tried to google it and nothing comes up

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

hmm
    Can you keep the app on a flash drive? Remove the flash drive when you are not using the app.

Or, maybe explain your circumstances. There may be other possibilities, such as installing the app while logged in to a different user account (create the account specifically to use with that app, and logout/login to that account to use your app)
    What is the nature of the app (what does it do?)

3. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Possibly use disk utility to create an encrypted disk image and store the app in there? Then it will only be available after you specifically open the DNG file and then run the application. As DeltaMac suggests though, unless the app is intended to be "portable" it may leave traces in preferences or other places on your drive.

4. skyRanger thread starter macrumors newbie

Photoshop CS6 and possible Windows Parallel (Windows 7)

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I can understand how you might not want anyone to know that you use MS Windows on your Mac ( :D ), but how would Photoshop be sensitive for you...? Edited images/projects, etc, can be on a removable drive, too ...

6. skyRanger thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to use Photoshop for stuff like WWE (my family hates it) :D

7. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

hmmm - a hobby I haven't come across before.
    You photoshop wrestlers (that are already over-the-top personalities)?
    Do you do the guys or the gir... - Oh, I get it... I'm a little slow on the uptake with Pørn
    I was going to ask if your family hates the "wrestling" part, or your use of the images.
    Now I understand :D (trying to un-see that image of the Lucha Dragons in my head. It'll take some time, I think.)

But, keep your "images" off your system drive, and you should be just fine. I know someone who used to keep their magazines under the mattress. You probably can't hide it from your sister, just like me, I mean, that guy I know.