Is It Possible To Home Share apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pruppert, Aug 20, 2010.

1. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

My girlfriend and I live in the same apartment. She has a mac and I have a mac. She has an iPhone and I have an iPhone. Can we home share iPhone apps just like we are able to home share music in iTunes?

2. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

3. chembox macrumors 6502a

You were able to do this with iPod Games, up to 5 authorizations, I don't think it'll be the same with iPhone apps.

4. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

5. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Yes just sign out of your account in iTunes then sign into the persons account who purchased the app

Then go to the app store and purchase the app, after you confirm that u want to buy it iTunes will say you've already bought it n ask if u want to dl it again, click yes

Sign out then sign back with ur account n sync ur phone

Done

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The only problem with this is that you must sign in to the account that purchased an App in order to update it.

It's a real pain doing that on the iPhone itself - but doing it in iTunes isn't too bad.

7. Flipside186 macrumors member

Yes

While the above posters method will work just fine (signing into a different account and re-downloading), I have found that using Homesharing is significantly easier. I also live with my girlfriend, both have iPhones. We have homesharing set up between our PCs, my computer is authorized under her itunes account and hers is authorized under mine. Basically, she can connect to my computer and taking anything in my iTunes library (music, movies, ringtones, apps, etc.) and pull them onto her computer with no problems. The only wrinkle I have observed with apps is that in order to update the app you will need to have your girlfriends password to iTunes and vice versa. I guess you could always just ask them to put it in for you or you do the same so you don't have to share the password.

That was a long-winded way of saying that, yes, Apps can be transferred via homesharing. We only pay for apps once, (generally on my account because its usually stocked with credits) and then the other will get it through homesharing.

8. Flipside186 macrumors member

When the iPhone prompts you to do an update it will give you an input box for the password belonging to the account the original file was downloaded under. It doesn't seem like a pain on the iPhone. For example, if my girlfriend wanted to update an app from me, the box would prompt her for flipside186@example.com's password and not her own.

I think it's easier on the phone, truthfully.

9. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

My wife and I just both use my iTunes store account, and that makes it all that much easier. Only one account to check for updates, etc. Using homesharing, both of our iTunes automatically check for new apps on each other's library, and they're transferred to our phones on the next sync.

10. funkyc macrumors regular

funkyc

yep works for my gf and i who both have MBP, iPhones and iPads

I just buy everything on my account and we share everything

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

With Apple's new changes, that will usually bring up a prompt for the credit card information associated with the other account.

If you're sharing an account with someone else, it's not likely that you'll know that information.

12. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

It does bring up a prompt for CC info and even tho I know the security code on my husbands CC he used, it wouldn't work, it would lag, then cycle back to my itunes account ask for PW, lag, ask for his PW, then security code, then repeat.

That's why I do it on the iMac instead, and I know his PW so it's no problem updating the apps.

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That is also a problem - it doesn't work for me either.