Is it possible to install a prior version of OSX than what your mac originally had?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by musicguy7, Jul 21, 2011.

1. musicguy7 macrumors member

When the new mac pros are released with Lion in the following months, will it be possible to install Snow Leopard on them?

I read the official apple support pages on this, and it appears you can't install versions of osx that are older than what your mac originally had, and I wanted to confirm if that was true or not. Can you have a clean, stable, older version running?

2. hammten macrumors regular

well the problem will lie in the drivers being missing for lower versions of OSX, (i.e. for graphics cards)

3. musicguy7 thread starter macrumors member

So will people who wait and buy the new mac pros be stuck with Lion and beyond? Or can you add the drivers manually? It doesn't make sense, since on the PC side I'm pretty sure doesn't share this restriction.

4. elvisizer macrumors 6502

hammten means missing in the sense of 'does not exist'. Apple does not create drivers for old operating systems for new hardware.
    If the model in question only contains hardware that had drivers included in the old system, then it will work.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

The only possible exception I can think of (must have drivers), is if a motivated hacker/developer would put the time in to write them & create a patched image that includes them for a specific system/s.

But this would be in spite of Apple.

6. musicguy7 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That kinda sucks...the new mac pros will definitly have new core hardware right?